Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 13-07 Card Table

Graham Smith

What the heck are the dimensions of a "standard card table" supposed to be? And how do you "stake a chair in place"?

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/13-07.pdf

Since the width of the shooting area is dictated by the width of the table, I can see where this could well be an issue.

Also, if I read this right, you can move around to the rear of the chair as long as you shoot from between the fault lines.

Edited by Graham Smith

for staking the chair, our club sunk long stakes into the ground at the same angles / spacing as the legs of the chair. Set the chair in place, and attach with cord / duct tape / whatever. Probably lots of other ways, too.

As for going around to the rear of the chair, I guess it would depend on your implementation, but times are pretty fast on the classifier, so there's not a lot of time to move around.

Common is 36x36 but some are 34x34 or even smaller. It could make a difference but most people will shoot it with their feet shoulder width apart or at least with their feet placed on either side of the chair.

Any ideas on the size of the card table?

No idea what a standard card table is supposed to look like. When I've been to, e.g., Vegas, card tables seem to look like this:

poker-table.jpg

I would guess Vegas knows more about what constitutes a standard card table than I ever will.

Our club just used a really small utility table. Didn't look anything like the above picture, maybe it was 3' x 3' or so, four folding legs, if you're my size, your knees won't go under it without some funky angles going on, plastic top.

The shooting area for a classifier is supposed to be clearly defined but by leaving out the dimensions of the card table, there's no longer a defined area. It's just that with all the rule book lawyers in this game, I can see how this could be an issue.

The width of the table is the width of the shooting area. Having not shot this I cannot say for sure if that would make any difference or not. If you can stand on the center line behind the table and clearly see the poppers without having to lean out to either side to avoid the center target, then it really doesn't matter. But the setup notes are very precise about everything else so I wasn't sure.