Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What holster are you running for an Open pistol in 3gun?

I have come to the conclusion that I want to build an open set up for 3gun. My rifle won't change much other than I will add a bipod. Shotgun I will be getting an XRail for, so it can still be used for Open or Tac Optics. Now it comes down to the pistol. My main concern is the holster. I have seen guys using standard kydex holsters and have to sling a rifle or shotgun, and when retrieving the long gun, they pull the pistol out of the holster and get DQ'd. I am currently running a Lvl2 holster due to this, and the fact that it will stay in the holster even when I run, and dive around.

If I build an Open gun with a slide mounted RMR, I can use the holster I have now. But I know that a frame mounted optic is faster and better for the game. What holsters are you guys using with open pistols that hold the gun secure enough that an arrant sling won't pull it out?

Center of Mass. You may have to heat it up a fit to mold it to your gun but it holds securely even when running and you can crank down the knobs to tighten it if the stage requires a lot of movement.

I have been using a Ghost for quite a while for 3gun in Open. It has a lever with two separate locking positions, one operated by the middle finger during the draw or the other operated by the thumb. The location of the thumb operated position makes it nearly impossible to bump on something prematurely unlocking the holster, and even then I use a stout rubber band to help hold the lever in place. I do not trust friction type, (I don't even use one with my 45 I use for HM) because I have seen too many pistols on the ground that started in a friction type holster. When asked I recommend a positive locking holster, one that the pistol will not come out of unless the the lock is disengaged.

jmho

jj

COM - simple and effective. I've had plans to build myself a super holster that has 100% positive retention and a quick release system and all sorts of other super awesome stuff. But the COM really does what I need it to, so the super holster is really far down on the to-do list.

I have been using a Ghost for quite a while for 3gun in Open. It has a lever with two separate locking positions, one operated by the middle finger during the draw or the other operated by the thumb. The location of the thumb operated position makes it nearly impossible to bump on something prematurely unlocking the holster, and even then I use a stout rubber band to help hold the lever in place. I do not trust friction type, (I don't even use one with my 45 I use for HM) because I have seen too many pistols on the ground that started in a friction type holster. When asked I recommend a positive locking holster, one that the pistol will not come out of unless the the lock is disengaged.

jmho

jj

I just sold my Ghost holster.

• 2 weeks later...

Center of Mass

I contacted Rick with COM on Facebook about the exact setup I want to use. (optic & mount) he did not have a template for the optic mount I want to use, but he said he contacted SJC to get a template to make me what I want.

I've see just as many guns dropped from locking holster from either the shooter that hinks it's locked or simply the switch gets shuffled to unlock due to dynamic movement as I've seen friction holster for open. What it comes down to is attention to detail. I use a COM holster, that doesn't mean I wouldn't ever use a open style holster for 3gun, hell in one of my vids I beat the crap out of one trying to make the gun drop. Why I chose a kydex holster was simply for the gun is covered up to the reddot providing protection from snag and elements. I've over tighten my com holster before too. I almost ripped the els clip apart trying to draw my pistol.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim at http://www.tac-tech-cal.com/ built this holster for me new 3 gun 2011.

No way was I hanging that piece out in the air on some trigger lock holster. You know I would rip it off running around a prop!

Jim made exactly what I wanted and we used the Gcode RTI hanger set for secure mounting and ease of removal.

20140407_1649431024x768_zps26018d8e.jpg

20140514_1914181024x768_zps8df8918f.jpg

Do you know if these holsters can be attached with tek loks?

No way was I hanging that piece out in the air on some trigger lock holster. You know I would rip it off running around a prop!

Jim made exactly what I wanted and we used the Gcode RTI hanger set for secure mounting and ease of removal.

Do you know if these holsters can be attached with tek loks?

Yes they can be. That would be the normal way to do it. I chose the quick relelase set and it was worth it.

All the mag pouches are tek loks with velcro inside and out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll give these guys a shout and see what they have to say.

I'll give these guys a shout and see what they have to say.

I am into my wait close to 3 weeks. Looking forward to getting the set. I asked for 2 tone one the holster and AR mag pouch (carbon fiber blue and carbon fiber blood red) and on the pistol mag pouches 2 of each color.

Just an FYI about GCode RTI to teklok from a Kydex DIYer hobbyist. The spacing on the GCode RTI hanger is the exact same spacing for the hole pattern on a large teklok. I use the RTI hanger as blocking when making holsters that will attach via the teklok. I made pretty much the identical setup as above with the RTI wheel but then changed it out to teklok.

Just an FYI....