Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot Powder 9mm Load Data

jeffroberdo

I was able to score some Red Dot Powder (YAY ). I am getting ready to load up some 9mm loads and can only find data from the older Alliant load sheets. My Lyman 49th manual does not have any published data for this powder for 9mm. I know it will work, maybe not the best but it should do ok for around 1500 plinking rounds.

Does anyone use this powder now a days and can offer me up some load data that they use on the regular to help me work up some good loads?

I have not purchased any projectiles yet so let me know what would work well in my M&P Pro 5in.

From the 4th edition Hornady Reloading manual-Loads listed for Red Dot

115 Grain bullets-Starting load of 3.7-Max 4.1

124 Grain Bullets-Starting load 3.8-Max 4.2

If you have not purchased bullets yet- I would suggest either Bayou bullets for coated bullets or Precision Delta using the 124 grain bullets. I used products from both vendors and they are excellent to work with. They will also sell you sample packs to see what your gun likes.

Hope this helps

Edited by rdinga

Thanks guys. I had figured the loads i had read about were about right and you guys just solidified it.

I will be picking up some 115grainers this weekend at the Lebanon PA gunshow and i have a 4 day weekend next weekend to load em up.

From the Speer #8 manual:

125 grain .355 Jacketed Soft point 4.0gr -Max of 5.0gr of Red Dot @ 998 to 1136FPS

No 115gr load listed.

A considerable deviation from the Hornady #4.

• 1 month later...

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=197498

e3 is the cleaned up version of Red Dot and Promo. Red Dot has a reputation of being a dirty powder but I find it is no worse than most. Unless you run most powders we use at near maximum pressures nearly all of them are fairly dirty. Red Dot is an excellent powder for 9mm.

• 6 years later...

I use Red Dot for most pistol calibers in my plinking loads.  Since it’s burn rate is very close to Bullseye I found some data.  From there I came up with the following for 125 gr. RN

3.3 gr. - 888 fps

3.6 gr.  -1004 fps

hope this gives you a starting point.