Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Travel to NJ. Worth the hassle?

I'm going to north Jersey for three weeks on business. Turns out there are plenty of matches around that I could shoot while I'm there. Can I legally take my SS minor rig there? If so, is it with the hassle?

I will be in a hotel. I can definitely adhere to a point to point itinerary with the gun. Is it possible in this scenario?

Edited by madmike283

Hi, I noticed from your profile you are from Colorado?

The first question is how are you coming to NJ. Flying or Driving? This to me is the bigger point.

I have a condo in NJ and split time between SC and NJ. I have been dealing with the fear for about 7 years now. I have flown many times out of Philly with checked firearms for I did not want to deal with Newark (which is in NJ), Maybe others can comment on NJ airports.

Now that my comments above are out of the way.

NJ is a great state to shoot USPSA matches when you adhere to the draconian laws. There are some very good clubs in the area with very nice matches and people. Central New Jersey - Old bridge - and Shongum are good examples In addition, check OBCats.com for local match schedules and contact information. There are also some very good matches right across the state line in PA.

In fact, I will shoot a match this weekend in PA. I will travel from my condo in NJ Friday night with my gear, stay in hotel in PA and shoot match on Saturday. No drinking, No adult clubs, no drag racing - get my point? I do the same thing to go to northern NJ.

I have never had a problem. I have been stopped twice by the police in the last seven years. One time for nothing in NJ - "Just wanted to know who I was for they have seen me around a lot and my plates did not come up???" (I have SC plates and residency in SC). Once in PA for I did something stupid and admitted it to the policeman immediately (hopped a curb to avoid a long light) , which he kindly told me "don't do that again" and let me go. Both times I had gear with me and never a question. In fact, the PA stop my truck bed was full of GT Targets and not a single question about guns ect. ( I think I had seven guns in my truck at the time - traveling back to SC to shoot some matches for a long week and work on my private range).

NJ, despite the bad reputation and laws is still a good place to shoot matches. Just follow their laws and you will be fine.

Kind Regards,

RT

"Following their laws" is the big problem, IMHO.

I used to live in NJ - went back few years ago for a match and did

not enjoy the atmosphere - esp when the MD found out I was from

"out of state".

Doubt you'd be able to determine what "their laws" are - to everyone's

satisfaction.

I'd never go back to NJ to shoot a match -not worth the hassle, IMHO.

:ph34r:

Hi Jack,

I don't know what club you went too and I am sorry you had a bad experience. No, I am not an ambassador for NJ. The state has a LOT of problems. I will not go into them for this would be politics.

BUT, Every match I have shot - look them up on USPSA - L2456 has been nothing but good in NJ/PA. The match directors have been excellent and very nice. It does not matter where I shoot, I know when I am the "new guy". And I try to remember this. Yes, several MD/signup persons have asked me for they did not know me about have I shot with them before. In fact, one club treated me really as a new shooter - this did not offend me at all, but reassured me they wanted things to run right. By the second stage that day, it was clear it was not my first rodeo.

The laws are very simple - for now. No mags > 15 rounds. don't put the gun in the windshield - don't go to Bestbuy and shop for 5 hours. I don't like the laws, but it is their laws. I also don't like the idea of prison, so I do a little research before hand. It's not that hard. Now for EWR, I don't feel like the hassle so I avoid that airport. I just flew out to Houston a few weeks ago and felt so sorry for a guy in security. He had a Glock 23/19 magazine (was not so close to see exact model) in his backpack in security line - no gun - no ammo. He was nabbed and I am very sure he was going to have a long long day with the TSA. Now, if that was a Glock 17 mag, his day was going to get VERY long with NJ laws once the TSA was finished with him.

Yes, the laws can be a bit of a matrix, but you have to know before you go!

Thanks for the info. I will be flying, most likely via Newark. I also travel to Delaware via Philly and have taken my stuff with me there with no hassles. I understand and am comfortable with the TSA/flying portion, I'm most concerned to get some clarification on Jersey itself. I'm flying in, staying at a hotel for three weeks, and would transport the gun with 10rd mags to and from the match/hotel only.

"but you have to know before you go"

and know is what this is about.

NJ NY and MD have .... odd laws.

Laws designed to trap, entrap, and allow random enforcement.

so knowing before you go is required.

I live in MD and I'd like to be confident about MD law...

miranda

I had no issues flying into newark with a handgun, just declare your stuff , obviously.

As far as NJ laws go,

no magazines that can hold 15 or more rounds

keep your hand gun locked up , in the trunk, ammo seperate

go to and from your residence( hotel ) to range, no deviations. ( dont stop for beers with your buddy after the match with your gun in the trunk , or go to the mall )

there are matches most every weekend at old bridge rifle and pistol club, and central jersey rifle and pistol club, you might also check out Shongum for matches.

-Alec

Edited by alecmc

Are you all sure that a hotel is a residence? Wasn't a traveler from Utah who got stuck at Newark arrested because he retrieved his luggage -- with checked gun inside -- and then checked into a hotel for the night? I'd hate to be the test case without permanent NJ residency.....

Are you all sure that a hotel is a residence? Wasn't a traveler from Utah who got stuck at Newark arrested because he retrieved his luggage -- with checked gun inside -- and then checked into a hotel for the night? I'd hate to be the test case without permanent NJ residency.....

traveler was Greg Revell, stranded at Newark airport overnight while travelling with a lawfully owned, properly declared unloaded handgun in his checked baggage. Spent 10 days in jail in Newark before bonding out.

My $0.02 - i would never travel with firearms into NJ from out of state. My limited experience with NJ LE is that the laws themselves are irrelevant as you may be arrested solely on the misinformed discretion of any law enforcement officer. Sorting out his (or her) mistakes can cost you thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars and immeasurable aggravation.

Had to post this as a follow up. Lexis cite is here

Law360, New York (September 16, 2013, 8:54 PM ET) -- The Third Circuit said Friday that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey may continue to confiscate the firearms of non-New Jersey residents traveling through Newark Liberty International Airport, ruling a federal law protecting gun owners does not apply when walking through an air terminal.

In a precedential decision, the three-judge panel unanimously held that the Firearms Owner Protection Act’s “safe passage provision” — a law allowing people to pass from state to state with their firearms — only protected people traveling by “vehicle,” including car, train and plane. FOPA’s protections do not apply when a person walks through an airport terminal to his flight, the court stated.

Depending on your business destination, you might want to consider staying in PA. From the Lehigh Valley (Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton area) you are an hours drive to North Jersey. From the Lehigh Valley you can get to USPSA matches it Lower Providence and Ontelaunee, and can find an IDPA match within a half hours drive almost every weekend. If you are going to be in the area the last weekend of June you might want to check out the "Beast of the East" IDPA match at Easton Fish & Game. I have heard good things about the matches at Old Bridge and Shongum, but never strayed that far into Jersey with my guns. Keep an eye on the NJ gun laws, I just heard that there is a renewed interest in limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds. I'm not sure where this proposed legislation stands.

As much as I would hate to be without it for three weeks, I don't think it's worth the trouble. Unfortunately I don't have the flexibility to stay on the PA side. I definitely can't afford to get hemmed up in Jersey for any length of time. Since it seems so confusing, I'm better off playing it safe I suppose.

In a precedential decision, the three-judge panel unanimously held that the Firearms Owner Protection Act’s “safe passage provision” — a law allowing people to pass from state to state with their firearms — only protected people traveling by “vehicle,” including car, train and plane. FOPA’s protections do not apply when a person walks through an airport terminal to his flight, the court stated.

Jeez, why is it this kind of asshatted court decision from liberal NY/NJ doesn't surprise me? FOPA protects you in a cab up to the curb and once on a plane, but not from the curb outside the terminal to the plane. Brilliant.

Edited by remoandiris

we will get into legal arguments and meanings quick.

to me the law is pretty clear in its intention.:

you may travel from state to state with your weapons.

what has happened is that the law states conveyances like planes, trains. and automobiles.

it does not mention the means of transport that includes feet, so you are not protected while 'walking'

got it?

miranda

edited to fix --> vonveyences

Edited by Miranda

Yeah, got it. Like I said, liberal asshat judges say walking with firearms encased in luggage from the curb of an airport dropoff point to the check-in counter of said airport is illegal. You were legal in the car and will be legal on the plane, but for that 100 yards in-between, you are a CRIMINAL.

Makes sense to me. Yes, that is sarcasm.

worse than criminal... you are a victim.

The 'law' will snatch your firearms.

And add the bullying threat;

"we will drop the other charges"

ummm can we drop the word 'liberal?'

miranda