Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.223 handloads not seated to cannelure. Is this unsafe?

Biammo

I was told that if you seat a bullet closer to the rifling in the barrel then you will have better accuracy. And yet on the other hand got blown out of the water by a supposed expert that I am playing with fire because the bullet is not seated down to the cannelure. Which is it?ehyzu3eh.jpg

Thanks.

Some rifles shoot better groups when the bullets are seated close to the lands, some don't. There is no danger in not using the cannelure, just use what shoots better in your rifle.

Thank your for confirming. I have shot these loads successfully with know issues. This is the message I got from some random guy: "Shiny doesn't mean high quality! Why are the bullets not seated to the cannular? What barrel length gets 3300 something fps. Thats dangerous out of an AR-15."

Thank your for confirming. I have shot these loads successfully with know issues. This is the message I got from some random guy: "Shiny doesn't mean high quality! Why are the bullets not seated to the cannular? What barrel length gets 3300 something fps. Thats dangerous out of an AR-15."

Is random guy the expert? There are acceptable 223 Remington loads close to 3,900 fps within 55,000 psi and I am certain there are 5.56 loads at 4,000 fps that can be shot out of a 16" AR15 without consulting any guides.

I mistakenly trimmed a bunch of brass to 1.73, and using Montana Gold's 55 grainers with their cannelure (which actually was all over the place) I didn't have any problems.

Then the next time I loaded them, I set the OAL to whatever and the cannelure was definitely exposed then.

Just an FYI... The RCBS X die instructions say to trim 20 thousandths under max length... Not 20 thou under the trim to length.

Surprisingly enough, I didn't see a change in accuracy.... Weird?

• 2 weeks later...

If for some reason you wanted to add a crimp then that is what the cannelure is for. OAL is up to you. Just remember that bullets touching the lands will cause pressure to spike.