Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powder and Primer Storage

syme71

I do, though my part of the USA doesn't get below freezing at all.

For opened packages and relatively long term storage, I think heat and humidity in the storage area can be potentially more damaging to powder and primers than cold.

Greater temperature, given enough time, will speed up the breakdown of almost any substance. Short term exposure is probably OK, and if you use components like most action shooters, your turnover will keep you away from significant degradation of your powder/primers.

Powder sealed in unopened airtight containers should be fine regardless of humidity. Modern primers aren't very hydroscopic (water absorbing), so, unless virtually underwater, I think that they'd be OK.

One potential problem might be bringing powder or primers into a warm and humid area after being out in the cold. Condensation on the inside walls of the powder container or on the metal of the primers themselves might get into the powder or priming compound. Iif stored out in the cold, it might be a good precaution to let these components warm up a bit inside before opening the packaging.

Kevin makes some good points. All I can add is for the past 10 years my components (powder/primers/etc) have always been kept in the garage, be it cold or hot. And I've always reloaded in the garage, be it cold or hot. Never seemed to make a bit of difference as far as reliability.

Kevin makes some good points. All I can add is for the past 10 years my components (powder/primers/etc) have always been kept in the garage, be it cold or hot. And I've always reloaded in the garage, be it cold or hot. Never seemed to make a bit of difference as far as reliability.

My supplies stay in an unheated building and I have yet to have any related problems - that I Know of anyways....

From what i have found any storage out of direct sunlight is fine.

I took a 10 year vacation from reloading.

when i started back i used all of the supplys i had stored.

consisted of over 10lbs of powder and 10,000 primers.

all of it shot just like it was new.