Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol 9mm Major - First go

Wilsoncreek

I tried CFE when i ran low of Auto Comp... used the same load for Auto Comp & CFE ... 6.8gr using 124gr PD HP bullets.. both produced about the same PF .. right at 170

CFE seemed to produce a little more recoil.. i prefer Auto Comp.. but it seems to be scarce...

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure have. 7.9 gr of CFE pistol with MG 115 JHP's at 1.172 OAL with Tula SR primers gave a PF of 167.3 in my open gun (Storm Lake barrel). For comparison those same bullets at the same OAL with the same primers gave a PF of 170.9 with 9.2 of HS6, 167.3 with 7.9 of Autocomp, 165.9 with 7.7 Autocomp, and 162.7 with 7.5 gr of Autocomp. .

• 1 year later...

I tried CFE when i ran low of Auto Comp... used the same load for Auto Comp & CFE ... 6.8gr using 124gr PD HP bullets.. both produced about the same PF .. right at 170

CFE seemed to produce a little more recoil.. i prefer Auto Comp.. but it seems to be scarce...

So you have used both CFE and Autocomp and prefer Autocomp. Did you see a difference if one was any dirtier than the other? I had used Hodgdon LongShot for my 38 super but have switched to 9mm Major and do not like the fact that I have to use 7.8grs to get 1350 fps and just bought a pound each of CFE Pistol and AutoComp to see how they compare to Longshot. What type of gun are you shooting these from? I am shooting a STI DVC. Thanks.

• 1 year later...
On 9/1/2014 at 11:46 PM, robot said:

and the final report, using a Competition Electronics Chrono.

8.1gr HS-6 124gr MG CMJ, WSRP, 1.165 OAL

Avg 1362.4

PF 169

6.8gr CFE Pistol 124gr MG CMJ, WSRP, 1.165 OAL

Avg 1363.2

PF 169

7.0gr CFE Pistol 124gr MG CMJ, WSRP, 1.165 OAL

Avg 1390

PF 172

Hi This is Jim Tan from Winnipeg Manitoba.

Thank you very much for the info.

I will try some CFE Pistol next week with 124 RN plated, 6.7 gr at 1.140 OAL (CZ open gun, take short ammo)

Have you use VV 3N38 for 9 major? Most open shooter in my area use VV 3N38. What they say, it is much cleaner and work the comp better. I am a new open shooter do know much about comp or gas.

To me CFE Pistol is 50% of the cost of VV 3N38 per round locally.

Do you think VV 3N38 have advantage over CFE Pistol?

Thank you very much for your help.

Jim  

1 hour ago, Magictalent said:

This is Jim Tan from Winnipeg 

I will try CFE Pistol with 124 RN plated, 

Hi, Jim, this is Jack who used to live in Saskatoon   :)

Have you tried JHP's rather than RN Plated?   Much less cleaning of your comp, since the JHP's

are fully enclosed in jacket - no lead exposed.

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Have you tried JHP's rather than RN Plated?   Much less cleaning of your comp, since the JHP's

Hi Jack, nice to meet you here.

JHP is just not available locally at a reasonable price. Campro plated bullet I use is fully cover with 0.008  copper layer. No lead exposed. Shoot like CMJ with my 2 years of IPSC shooting experience. 

8 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Some FMJ have the bottom open to lead and then again some plated rounds are completely enclosed. If you choose to go with FMJ by ordering them, just make sure you know what you’re getting.   

As far as 3n38, I use it because it’s very consistent, meters good, pretty clean burning powder,  I have loaded enough 3n38 to push some Rainier Ballistics 124gr Match .38 in super comp to over 1550fps = 192+ PF w/o any crazy signs of pressure issues and 3n38 creates LOTS of gas so you get the most out of your comp. my 2cents, Good luck gents. 

Edited by a matt

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2017 at 12:22 AM, a matt said:

Some FMJ have the bottom open to lead and then again some plated rounds are completely enclosed. If you choose to go with FMJ by ordering them, just make sure you know what you’re getting.   

As far as 3n38, I use it because it’s very consistent, meters good, pretty clean burning powder,  I have loaded enough 3n38 to push some Rainier Ballistics 124gr Match .38 in super comp to over 1550fps = 192+ PF w/o any crazy signs of pressure issues and 3n38 creates LOTS of gas so you get the most out of your comp. my 2cents, Good luck gents. 

I just try some 3n38 with my 38 SC. Good powder. But I do have problem with it while loading with my Dillon 550. I load 7.8 gr and it is almost to the top of the case. When there is a primer/or case I need to push hard to get clear, powder will spill out. Sometime there will be enough powder spill out and cause a FTE.

CFE on the other hand do not have that problem. CFE do not have same amount of gas as 3n38.

5 hours ago, ano said:

I load 9gr 3n38 in my 9mm... whats the problem? 

VV recomends 3n38 for 9major, officially, just check their facebook

I don’t see any data on 3n38 and 9mm.  I see where it says whoever loads 3n38 with 9mm but I don’t see any info with data. Our 9x19, 9mm not the 9x21 9mm. That’s a totally different case and I would just load super or comp if I wanted something other than 9mm.  I can load most any power and it will go bang but specific load data on 3n38 using a 9x19 standard 9mm case I do not see where Vith lists it.  Vith DOES NOT say anything about 9mm with 3n38 making MAJOR. They post is what someone other than Vith posted on their site and then she is talking about heavy loads. Whatever that means, maybe a heavy bullet? In open that would be a waste maybe just shoot .040 open. 

Edited by a matt

• 1 year later...
On 5/8/2014 at 10:42 AM, Wilsoncreek said:

OK, guess I'll do this the hard way:

CFE Pistol - 5 rd strings

wt(gr) avg vel PF

6.5 1296 160.8

7.0 1338 165.9

7.2 1380 171.2

7.4 1406 174.3

7.6 1432 177.5

I used both Fed SPP and Win SRP. The Fed's flattened slightly at 7.4 and 7.6 gr. The SRP's showed no pressure signs

Did you use 115gr or 124gr with this test?

• 3 weeks later...

I usually load with Silhouette in my 9 Major AG Chaos.

Today I did some work up for Hot Minor load for Open 3Gun load with CFE Pistol and while I was at it I tested how it does in Major too.... Not Bad I like it!

MG CMJ 124gr @ 1.165 OAL, CCI 400 SR Primer, FC Brass, Labradar for Chrono.

7.0gr - 1371 fps ave @ 12ft for 170PF

7.2gr - 1394 fps ave @ 12ft for 172PF

Temp - 65

Question: How Temp Stable is CFE Pistol?