Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol 9mm Major - First go

Wilsoncreek

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VV lists 3n38 at a short 1.142" with 147 grain bullet at 177 PF.

Its the only powder that SV recommends for their 9 major pistols. Load it long with a 124 grain bullet and its probably one of the safest for major.

Update:

Alrighty fellas, I loaded up some CFE pistol powder steadily by .1 grns from 6.5 grns to 7.5 grns (on a 124 MG JHP with a SMP) and ran them through my gun (which is a 5.4 inch barrel with 4 popple holes.) Needless to say there were no signs of overpressure up to 7.5 grns. I do not have a chrono but will run the same loads through a chrono once I can get my hands on one at my local club. From the data I found online, 7.5 grns should make major through my gun.

One positive thing about the powder is that it meters extremely well. One negative aspect of it is that I definitely felt more recoil than one would normally get from HS6 or Autocomp loads and felt like the comp wasn't used as best as other powders are able to utilize it. The dot also has noticeably more movement. I shot my HS6 loads back to back with these and for me, personally, I prefer HS6. This appears to be a good powder for major due to the extreme shortage of powder but once powder comes back I won't run it.

That's a negative Matt, I won't have my hands on one until the first weekend of the month most likely.

And Steve, I worked a few more loads up to 7.7 grns yesterday. Perhaps very slight cratering but that's it.

Does anyone know what Brandon's @SV recommends for his 9 Open guns? Powder, primer, oal the whole thing if someone will share.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, SV only recommends 3n38 for 9 major.

Does anyone know what Brandon's @SV recommends for his 9 Open guns? Powder, primer, oal the whole thing if someone will share.

Unless something has changed in the last few years, SV only recommends 3n38 for 9 major.

That's only for 124/125's, can't use it for 115's :(

That's only for 124/125's, can't use it for 115's :(

Why's that? Too many holes?

I use 9.3gr SP2 with 115s.

It could either be the amount of, or size of the holes. I have a Cheely 5" with 2 holes. My load is the same other then OAL from before I had holes added. HS6 MG115 JHP, this will change soon. I have a very good friend that got me a fair amount of CFE Pistol. So I will be switching shortly. I will post my results.

Edited by shooter995

• 1 month later...

Finally got to the range to chrono some CFE Pistol 9mm Major rounds, thought I'd share this with you all.

Gun is a 5", KKM Barrel (around 6k rounds), no popple holes. Ammo is recipe is :

• 124gr Montana Gold CMJ
  • Various brass
  • Winchester Small Rifle Primer
  • 1.165 OAL.

img_2488.jpg?w=500

Top results are for my usual load, everything the same except that I'm using Hodgdon 8.1gr of HS-6. If you discount the last result, it's about what I usually get.

The last result is using Rainier Ballistics Plated (the normal kind) which doesn't work accurately in my gun but just wanted to find out.

It looks like I can back down the charge to around 6.8 to get ~170-171pf which is ideal for me. I loaded some 6.8gr loads for my next chrono session and will report back when I get the results.

Edited by robot

That's a negative Matt, I won't have my hands on one until the first weekend of the month most likely.

And Steve, I worked a few more loads up to 7.7 grns yesterday. Perhaps very slight cratering but that's it.

7.7g CFE, 124jhp MG, CCI 500 will make 180+PF in a 5" 4 hole STI.

7.7g CFE, 124jhp MG, CCI 500 will make 180+PF in a 5" 4 hole STI.

7.7 is wayyyyy too much but good to know that pressures are still ok at that level.

With regards to my previous chrono session (9mm major Chrono results with Hodgdon CFE Pistol). Here's an update. I went to chrono the rounds I made using CFE Pistol at 6.8gr of powder using a different type of Chronograph. The first session was using a Chrony but this session I was using a Competition Electronics chrono so the results are a little unexpected. I know, I should really stick to just using one Chrono.

img_27041.jpg?w=660

As you can see i'm using my typical 8.1gr HS-6 as a calibration round. this time the results were really low at average 1323fps, that puts me at 164pf which is under the power factor floor. The deviation is huge too which could mean that the rounds were loaded inconsistently.

CFE pistol on the other hand, metered VERY well. the SD is only 6 and the 3 averages of 5 rounds is 1363, 1357 and 1351. Super consistent. I'm liking this powder already.

The average is 1357fps and with a 124gr projectile, that puts me at 168pf.

I trust the Competition Electronics chrono more than the Chrony so I'll bump it up to 7grs of CFE Pistol hoping to get around 170-171pf. The old result using the Chrony at 7grs gets me to 172.5. The Chrony is a little "exaggerated" in terms of fps so 7.0gr should put be at 170pf with the Competition Electronics chrono.

7.0 it is!

and the final report, using a Competition Electronics Chrono.

8.1gr HS-6 124gr MG CMJ, WSRP, 1.165 OAL

Avg 1362.4

PF 169

6.8gr CFE Pistol 124gr MG CMJ, WSRP, 1.165 OAL

Avg 1363.2

PF 169

7.0gr CFE Pistol 124gr MG CMJ, WSRP, 1.165 OAL

Avg 1390

PF 172

Edited by robot