Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CFE Pistol 9mm Major - First go

Wilsoncreek

I've been searching for a place to start in developing a 9 major load with the new CFE Pistol. This new powder seems to promise (depending on availability, of course) load possibilities for several calibers. I couldn't find any load development posted so I weighed out some different loads and went to the range with pistol and chrono in hand.

As stated, powder was Hodgdon CFE Pistol

Handgun was a mostly stock STI Grandmaster, 5 inch barrel, no holes

Bullets were Montana Gold 124 gr JHP-CMJ

Brass was new Remington +P

Conditions were: overcast, 76 degrees

All loads were individually weighed

I also tested some minor loads to check how the powder would run through my Dillon 650 in my normal, higher volume process. Results are also included in the chart.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, guess I'll do this the hard way:

CFE Pistol - 5 rd strings

wt(gr) avg vel PF

6.5 1296 160.8

7.0 1338 165.9

7.2 1380 171.2

7.4 1406 174.3

7.6 1432 177.5

I used both Fed SPP and Win SRP. The Fed's flattened slightly at 7.4 and 7.6 gr. The SRP's showed no pressure signs

Let's try it one more time :)

Let me contribute my chrono readings to this thread.

Here's my chrono results:

• 5.5" schuemann ultimatch bbl
  • Loaded for 9-Major with OAL = 1.149-1.150"
  • CCI SR Primer
  • Bullet = 125-grns ZERO JHP-C
  • RP once fired brass
  • Powder charge were individually weighed & OAL individually measured for consistency.

6.5-grains powder charge:

• 1328 pfs = 166.00 PF
  • 1351 pfs = 168.88 PF
  • 1349 pfs = 168.63 PF
  • 1330 pfs = 166.25 PF
  • 1327 pfs = 165.63 PF

6.6-grains powder charge:

• 1350 pfs = 168.75 PF
  • 1344 pfs = 168.00 PF
  • 1349 pfs = 168.63 PF
  • 1353 pfs = 169.13 PF
  • 1351 pfs = 168.87 PF

Observation:

CFE Pistol powder has a very good potential for open loads (in my case - 9-major).

There were considerable flattening on all of the CCI small rifle primers from the spent brass using the data below, but NO cratering. However, there were very slight bulging of the brass from the rounds that were tested. I've never had these slight bulging of brass from the 170-172 PF using VVN350, VV3N37, AUTOComp & HS6.

Please be advised that I have not tested this load for accuracy and grouping yet. All I really wanted to find out is how this powder will meter through my chrono.

DISCLAIMER:

The load data provided is for INFORMATION ONLY and has only been tested in my own open guns. Use it at your own risk and please reload with extreme caution.

This are my chrono reading. The PF is calculated every shot fired.

Edited by NogNog

• 4 weeks later...

Even with our choices being fairly slim right now, I wouldn't use it.

Hodgdon lists 5.5 grains for 1120 FPS for a 124 grain bullet as the max load. If it only required a few tenths or even .5 grains more to make major, I might risk it (only by loading at a very long OAL). I just don't know about going 1 to 1.5+ grains over max book.

Well you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. Lol

Be careful guys! Probably not worth blowing your fingers off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Call me risk averse but if this is the only powder I could get, I'd just shoot it at minor velocity.

Well, I was kinda leary about my test results using 6.5 grns as I stated in the earlier post. However, after seeing my buddy loaded his rounds using 7.5 grains without a problem, I am kinda feel "safer" now with 6.5 grains for my load. He actually used CFE Pistol powder at the Buckeye Blast 2-weeks ago using 7.5 grns :)

Well I just recently picked up some CFE pistol myself. I think it has potential to become another popular 9mm major powder based on the research I am finding. I plan to work up loads from 5.5 grns in .1 grn increments and check each casing fired. I have a 5 inch barrel with 4 popple holes so my conservative assumption is that 6.8-7 grns on a 124 jhp and smp will make around 168 PF. I'll keep posted on this.

Edited by BillUF

• 2 weeks later...

Hodgdon lists 5.5 grains for 1120 FPS for a 124 grain bullet as the max load. If it only required a few tenths or even .5 grains more to make major, I might risk it (only by loading at a very long OAL). I just don't know about going 1 to 1.5+ grains over max book.

We've been doing exactly that with HS6 and AutoComp for years. Hodgdon's max load for HS6 with a 124 gr bullet is 6.6 gr. Everyone I know who has been shooting major uses 7.8-8.1 gr. I know many who have shot this load for years. AutoComp max is listed as 5.4 and most guys I know have been running low to mid 7 grs since the powder was released. Point being, building a 9 Major load is so far off the loading charts it makes the powder manufacturers scratch their heads but has been done without adverse effects for a decade. The key is to start low and work up slowly while carefully observing for signs of problems.

We've been doing exactly that with HS6 and AutoComp for years. Hodgdon's max load for HS6 with a 124 gr bullet is 6.6 gr. Everyone I know who has been shooting major uses 7.8-8.1 gr. I know many who have shot this load for years. AutoComp max is listed as 5.4 and most guys I know have been running low to mid 7 grs since the powder was released. Point being, building a 9 Major load is so far off the loading charts it makes the powder manufacturers scratch their heads but has been done without adverse effects for a decade. The key is to start low and work up slowly while carefully observing for signs of problems.y

I was thinking this myself. Are they any 9 major loads that are published by the powder company?

Actually, in my Vihtavuori book, it lists a 147 with 6.5g of N105 for 1125fps. 165PF.

This actually amazes. What does it say the CUP is?

There are a few 9x21 loads that make 169PF in my Sierra manual. Using a 125g bullet @ 1350fps. They are loaded to 1.165. A normal length for 9 major.

9x21 .... Not really what people think of when they think of 9 major