Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

March

benos

This is a two-part question - just to make it interesting. And, I'd advise not posting an answer to the first part unless your sure of your answer to part two. (You'll figure out why.)

1) What is the largest amount of change (US) you could have an not be able to make exact change for a one dollar bill? And, what would be the coins? (Hint: Read the question carefully.)

2) What is my favorite expression (that I typically use in the closing of a voice mail greeting, among other times)? And, who said it, and from what movie?

OK, I guess it's really a five-part question.

be

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To satisfy both senses of "largest amount" you would have an infinite number of $50 Eagle gold coins.  Yes they are legal tender at their face value.

I dunno if your phone rings in your house, so I won't call you in the middle of the night to listen to your voice mail message.  I'd guess Inspector Callahan (Clint Eastwood) in Dirty Harry: "A man's got to know his limitations."

#1) I'll take a stab at 99 pennies?

#2) I remember when I called your casa (business) once to order something I heard "adios", but with an obvious and intentional mis-pronounciation of the "a" sound (not the proper "ahh" sound, but an "aaa" )

I'm gonna guess at "The Three Amigos" bieng the movie?

...or how'bout "Blazing Saddles"?

Allright, I didn't consider $50 dollar gold coins in the question. We'll assume, for the sake of this question, the coins are under $1.00 in value. That means half-dollars, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, just to be specific. What is the largest amount of this coinage you could have an NOT be able to make exact change for a one dollar bill? Comon, it's easy - and it's not 99 pennies, or 2 quarters and 49 pennies... :)

be

Ok, I think Avalanche got the money part right, because that is what I was going to say but I didn't and still don't know the rest.  Nevertheless I will guess.

So its 3 quarters, 4 dimes, and 4 pennies.  

And the quote is "ya follow", said by Forest Whitaker in Ghost Dog, the Way of the Samurai.

That's my guess for now.

I now realize that was a poor guess, since the quote has been around long before Ghost Dog came out.   Well, I bet it's one of the movies in the first favorite  movies post...

(Edited by DBChaffin at 3:27 pm on Mar. 4, 2002)

Avalanche,

Just so I don't have to tear up a book and send half to you and Flex, why don't you just drag the cover graphic off my home page onto your desktop and then print it. Oh wait, can you only do that on a Mac?

Part 1

(as above) $1.19 = 3 quarters, 4 dimes and 4 pennies

Part 2

"Ya Folla"

It's from "The Sting", Robert Shaw who played the gangster Kerrigan (Harrigan?  Something like that.....)

BrianH,

I was wondering if you were going to post, or if you'd let 'em figure it out. Well, since you sent me some excellent trivia questions/ideas, you definitely deserve a book. :)

And, for those who have my book, check the back cover... (I couldn't get the publisher to write follow as folla.) I don't know, those English majors can only go so far.

Ya folla?

be

Send me your mailing info in an email...

In the event of a default...my vote (as if it matters) would go to Bryant Chaffin.

He had the money correct all by his very own self...and he had the Ya follow...which he saw on the back of the book.  And...he lent his book out and it hasn't been returned.

Wow - that's freakin me out! :)

Flex, I hear you, but he didn't really get the entire answer. That's why I said in the original post to not post the answer to the first question if you didn't know the (answer to the) second... So, I have to give it to BrianH.

BrianH, send me your shipping info and it will head your way.

be

• 2 weeks later...