Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Maximizing a Benelli Tac

HHjr

Hello everyone. This is my first post, I have been participating in IPSC since the late 80's and have the utmost respect for Mr Enos and many others on this board.     I have a new Benelli Tactical and would like to try a 3gun with it this spring ..... My first question: what is this about "loading the carrier" on a Benelli  for a extra round ? My mind see's this as Loading the chamber, loading the tube (I have the +4), then hit the carrier release, and then top off the tube ?? Is this the procedure ? Please explain the technique. Is it a reliable and safe method ?  Thankyou  for this forum and oppertunity to speak.                 Harold H.

This is kinda hard to explain....

Fill mag tube with desired amount of rounds.  Pull back bolt and put a round in the carrier and push down.  Let bolt go forward past rear of round in carrier and put one more in the chamber area and close bolt.

Hope that makes sense !  Just play with it and it will come easy.

Hope this helps.

Rob

You may not be able to do this with some of the newer Benellis. I have had one I could and one I couldn't. I think you can modify the bolt to allow this to be done. Be patient and one of the Benelli mechanics will pipe up.

KyleL

Harold, there was a post by Kurt in the 3 gun section, I believe it was one of the "tactical" shotgun topic that ran for 9 pages (or its predecessor "tactical" rifle), he mentioned how to modify the newer Benelli bolt (or carrier, I don't remember which) to accept one on the carrier.

With regards to your thought of loading the tube, hit the carrier release, then top off the tube, it can not be done.  The carrier is locked in place once there is round on it (at least mine behaves this way).  SVI4ME's instruction is the one to do, if your bolt/carrier will allow the extra round.

Thankyou for your quick replies. I am in no hurry and will let the information come to me while I watch, listen and learn.  I knew the Benelli I have (Tactical w/ ghost ring) might not be the best to be competitive with in the 3gun game, but I just fell in love with the fit and funtion of that shotgun. I sold a 1187 to buy it.    Thanks to you all and this board.    HH

I wouldn't say that HHjr...7 in the tube and 1 in the chamber is the same as most other 12 ga blasters out there.  Also, the Benelli is probably fastest in cycling time, and the lightest when compare to Rem 11 series, Browning Gold, and Winchester X2. No excessive cleaning requirements since there is no gas in the chamber.  Switching to slug during a stage with the Benelli is easier, in my opinion.

You are right PacMan ..... I did not intend to belittle the Benelli ..It is a awsome shooting platform... I was thinking of the reloading when I was typing that comment ..... I understand speed is a huge component of the 3gun game and the X2 and Golds are faster in that respect of reloading. I am in absolute awe of the Benelli. I have 250 rnds thru it.  Even 1oz 7 1/2's loads run perfectly.   Take care.      HH

HHjr:

I wouldn't say that loading speed is slower with a Benelli. I find that they load easier shell for shell than any of the above mentioned. The only difference is that the Browning gold will automatically load the chamber when you put the first shell into the tube when empty. With the Benelli it,s a port load. I find there is scatnt time diference in this and just try to plan not to run dry.   KURT

• 2 weeks later...

HHJR, If your gun won't hold a round on the carrier you will need to modify the bolt. It will have a notch cut into it that needs to be welded up. Grab somebody with and older gun and compare bolts and you'll see what I mean.The benelli is a good gun just don't weigh it down with a side saddle or other "tactical goodies" because that will surely cause malfunctions. Benelli's are extremely weight sensitive.

Thankyou for you comments ..... here is a update - I tried dropping a round on the carrier, pushed it down, but the bolt would not close. I am going to shoot it stock as a 7+1 gun for a while. I will let the bolt modification come at a later time. I just ordered a Tactical Bandoleer from http://www.3gungear.com ........ ready to play but it is only 10degrees here in MI  Everyone take care.     Harold