Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AA#2?

JLeeCZ

Been using AA7 for a while with 147gr Pl 9mm but was wondering what I could do with #2. Have some 125gr SNS coated and 124gr PD JHP I thought about trying #2 with. Not a lot of data available. Seems #5 is more popular. Also getting ready to start loading 40 cal 180 coated SNS/Bayou in a few weeks.

AA2 is fast, like Bullseye fast. AA5 is more like Unique, useful in a broad range of handgun calibers. AA7 is a little slower yet. Used to be popular in 38 Super at the old 175PF. All meter well. I think you will pressure spike before you make minor with AA2.

I don't like to push to the top published velocity. Figure it will make for good target loads. Maybe also use it for .45 when I start loading that caliber.

Been using AA7 for a while with 147gr Pl 9mm but was wondering what I could do with #2. Have some 125gr SNS coated and 124gr PD JHP I thought about trying #2 with. Not a lot of data available. Seems #5 is more popular. Also getting ready to start loading 40 cal 180 coated SNS/Bayou in a few weeks.

Back about 10 yrs ago, AA#2 and 147 gr Berry's was what I used for several years for IDPA. Sweeeeeeet load. Light recoil and for night shooting....very little flash. The problem down here in Houston was the heat. As temp increased, the PF went down significantly to point that people had problems making the gun cycle and ..... failing chrono at major matches.

Good powder for IDPA but use and watch closely in hot weather. If you bump it up to make up for hot weather then shoot in cooler weather....well?

Garry N

I tried AA#2 with 135gr Moly coated bullets. I likened it to Hodgdon Clays in that the pressure was high and it seemed to pop more than burn and accuracy was poor. I was also at the top of the recommended powder charge to make minor. I've heard it's well suited for 38special so I'm saving it for that, but haven't worked up a lot for that yet.