Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Major/minor at nationals

I have looked at the results and what others have failed to mention is that of the bottom 10 finishers 7 were shooting Minor. So obviously if you choose to shoot 8 shot Minor you have a 70% chance of finishing in the bottom 10 at any given match.

I think my conclusion is only slightly sillier than making any other sweeping declarations based on a single Revolver Nationals held just three months after 8 shot Minor was introduced.

Perhaps so. But seeing as these, so far, are the 2 matches with a significant amount of revolver shooter in attendance, I think there is a more then obvious pattern.

http://riopractical.com/text/wsssc-revo2014.txt

Edited by Pseudonym

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is that?

http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=2805&division=Revolver&guntype=Pistol

From Appendix A2 in the rulebook

USPSA Recognition

Prior to the commencement of a match, the organizers must specify which Division(s) will be recognized. Unless otherwise specified, USPSA sanctioned matches will recognize Divisions and Categories based on the number of registered competitors who actually compete in the match, based on the following criteria:

1. Divisions

Level I and Level II - A minimum of 5 competitors per Division (recommended)

Level III / Nationals - A minimum of 10 competitors per Division (mandatory)

2. Categories

Division status must be achieved before Categories are recognized.

All level matches - A minimum of 5 competitors per Division Category

(see approved list below)

I have looked at the results and what others have failed to mention is that of the bottom 10 finishers 7 were shooting Minor. So obviously if you choose to shoot 8 shot Minor you have a 70% chance of finishing in the bottom 10 at any given match.

I think my conclusion is only slightly sillier than making any other sweeping declarations based on a single Revolver Nationals held just three months after 8 shot Minor was introduced.

Perhaps so. But seeing as these, so far, are the 2 matches with a significant amount of revolver shooter in attendance, I think there is a more then obvious pattern.

I wonder how much of this is simple people trying out the new 8-shot minor option? It has only been three months since it went into effect. It will be interesting to see if there is some erosion of this 8-shot minor surge or will it continue to grow to dominate the division?

I wonder how much of this is simple people trying out the new 8-shot minor option? It has only been three months since it went into effect. It will be interesting to see if there is some erosion of this 8-shot minor surge or will it continue to grow to dominate the division?

Interesting point. Last year I shot my 625 and didn't have a very good match and ended up 29th. This year I decided to take the 627, irregardless of which platform was best. Because it was new, and did seem to work great. Even though I hadn't shot but 1 match in the previous 9 months and had limited practice time available,I ended up 17th overall and felt pretty good about it, For 3/4 of the match I shot a very controlled pace and did very well. The last 4 stages I consciously decided to push the envelope, and got burnt on 2 of those stages, and did ok on the other 2, but still not as well as earlier in the day.

Conclusion for me is a Minor Revolver fits me better, I fight it less than the 625 major. The 8 shot is a bonus. To further test my theory I'm shooting my 625 with minor loads at a special classifier match this weekend. Also since it's my backup I wanted to get at least a match in with it.

This was my first Nationals in any division. Did not do quite at well as I hoped. My goal was to be in top 5 B-Class (no expectation to win B-class this time). I finished 7th B and 45 overall, certainly not disappointed in my performance but I had hope for a little better. Had a bad start on the first stage I shot (stage 10) and although I did not have any really bad stages after that I did not have any super stellar stages either (23rd was my highest stage finish on the 60pt stage 5).

I was really torn between Major and Minor before that match but having shot the match I am glad I went with Minor. The biggest reason was all that hard cover steel in front of steel targets. That alone made it a Minor match for me. I think had all that hard cover steel been removed I would have been slightly better off with my Major revolver. My reloads are so much more consistent with my 625 than my 627. Not to mention I shot too many C for Minor. There was only one or two stages where there where 7+ shot arrays that had to be engage with no other place to engage some of the targets from that array.

I shot the match minor and I know that I would have done better if I had shot my 6 gun. This is because my 8 shooter went down on me just a few stages into the match and I zeroed one of the higher point stages. Dave O loaned me some parts so that I could finish the match but any chance of doing well was flushed with that stage a zero. I tried to make it a practice match for keeping my head in the game and still shooting the best I could but I honestly did not do a good job of it knowing that the match was essentially over for me.

The stages were fun and some of them it made no difference if you had a 6 or 8 shot but there were still places where I was really glad that I had an 8 shot like stage 6 that was 16 rounds. It required some good aiming to take advantage of having an 8 round gun on a 16 round stage but being forced to shoot accurately is not always a bad thing.

After shooting the match minor, if I had it to do over again I would shoot minor again, with my newly repaired 8 shooter. ;) There is always next year. Our squad was a good bunch and I enjoyed our time shooting together. :cheers:

Edited by Gregg K

The results are very obvious that 8 shot minor is the way to go as validated by the top twenty. Having said that, the way to save major is to sanction a major and a minor class. The number of competitors has increased enough to support both. I agree that the best shooters will always win the match, however, at the "lower" levels 8 vs 6 is a big advantage. Lets see next year how many 627s shooters go back to a 625 based on this years results.

Where are you seeing this dramatic increase in competitors that justifies splitting Revolver Division in half? I'm still hearing about area matches without enough Revo shooters to even recognize the Division as is. One match does not support a statement that participation is increased. Particularly since it's about the same as last year.

I sent an email to my AD with the simple request to have a new special category of high 6 shooter. He advised he would explore the idea. That way the people that don't want to invest in a new gun but still want to compete will have something to strive for.

You have a friend who wants to get into revolver. You want to keep him as a friend. He has money for one revolver that he wants to be competitive with as he shoots the division. Without trying to be cute and turn the question which gun do you tell him to buy?

I think there is one answer now

You have a friend who wants to get into revolver. You want to keep him as a friend. He has money for one revolver that he wants to be competitive with as he shoots the division. Without trying to be cute and turn the question which gun do you tell him to buy?

I would offer to let him try my 610, 625, and 627 and then let him decide for himself.

I would offer to let him try my 610, 625, and 627 and then let him decide for himself.

He asked you which one to buy to be competitive in the division. Quit playing with the question

Edited by underlug

He asked you which one to buy to be competitive in the division. Quit playing with the question

Alright no playing... :blush:

How is the situation any different that before 02/01/2014? There was one answer then too.

If anything there are more possibilities. Before 02/01/2014 the answer was a 625 4" (5" if you could find it) in 45ACP. Now there are more competitive options. 627, 327, TRR8, R8, 929 (Taurus 608 if you want to plug ports and have 2 backup guns) etc, in at least three cartridges 38Spl/SC, 9mm, 38 Super and barrel lengths from 6.5" on down.

Matt > from my perspective, as a witness in your squad, you shot consistently well. I do believe the 627 had the advantage, post Single Stack set up, with those 7+ shot arrays.

Matt > from my perspective, as a witness in your squad, you shot consistently well. I do believe the 627 had the advantage, post Single Stack set up, with those 7+ shot arrays.

Thanks Dan! After that rough start on stage 10 I would agree. I also agree this particular match favored 8-shot minor. I don't believe/hope that will always be the case. Had there been less hard cover on steel arrays, some long range stages and stages with more difficult movers Major might have be more viable.

That's what I'm doing already. At nationals decided which to shoot based on the stages. At club matches I decide which to shoot based on the classifier. If it's 6 neutral I'll shoot whichever suits the stages better. If the classifier is a 7 or 8 shot array, I'll shoot the 6. Setting crazy high hit factors is someone else's job, not mine.

I definitely fall into the gamers side of the equation, but I doubt if I'd go with 2 PF platforms. I'll make the decision based on what I want to play with. But gotta tell ya, right now it's a hoot playing with the 627.

Just an FYI: I compiled the videos of the top five men at Revolver Nationals on the Videos page and a short write-up on the Articles page.

Thanks so much for putting in the time, money and effort for your videos. It will be sad to see it go.