Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For the "Older Shooters"

texasref

just go see your optometrist and get a set of progressive contact lenses ... if you can get a glasses prescription to correct your vision to 20/20 or you already wear contacts you'll be able to get a set of these and see 20/20 near & 20/20 far. Add your favorite pair of shooting sunglasses and you're good to go ...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had lasik done to both eyes which made distance vision great but anything front sight and in is not crisp at all. I had a pair of glasses made with my dominant eye +1 and non dominant eye Plano. Works fine in 3 gun. I just focus my scope for the glasses.

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently had a pair of glasses made for shooting( dominant eye front sight, other distance) and I have to say it is quite an adjustment. I have not shot them in a match yet but it is nice to have a crisp front sight again, my groups look a lot better.

Trifocals, my attempt to achieve a sharp front sight; right handed and left eye dominant. Optometrist was delight I came to him with actual

measurements for a pair of shooting glasses. Left lens prescription was written as a normal trifocal. The right lens had the normal reading power at the bottom and the rest of the lens was filled with the middle power of my trifocal. Still adjusting to the shooting glasses but, I am pleased with the glasses. Focus range from hand gun to long gun works well for the front sight. Targets are not as sharp but, as a senior shooter I can continue to enjoy the sport and challenges.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have gone the "mono-vision" approach to contacts (one lens corrected for reading, the other for distance) too. My brain was able to put together a reasonable "reality" pretty quickly, but shooting has taken some work. On a good day, I can somehow split the target and sights between eyes and see both crisply, but I still haven't quite been able to master sustaining this state of vision, especially at greater distances. It seems very possible with work. Even now, it beats what I can do with progressive bifocals. In fact, I suspect this is an ideal solution if I can just lock in this "brain state."

I first heard about the mono-vision approach when reading "Be Fast, Be Accurate, Be the Best", by Bill Rogers. He writes on page 102, "With a new pair of light weight polycarbonate shooting glasses corrected so that my dominant eye could see the front sight clearly, my scores immediately improved and at age 59 I actually shot the first, and at the time, the only perfect score at my range."

I anyway planned to sign up for the Bill Rogers Basic Handgun class this year, so I decided to go that route. Then, while researching the advantages and disadvantages of Rx inserts v. contact lenses v. single-lens correction, I came across a blog reviewing lenses manufactured by a company nameed Tactical RX: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/19/tactical-rx-custom-prescription-shooting-eyewear/

I called them up and asked for several frames...and then several more, until I ended up with just about every reasonable option. I finally picked the Rudi Project Rydon Stealth, which is extremely light and has an unobstructed field of view. They recommended "Almost Lens" inverted bi-focal solution for the frames, but I stuck with mono-vision. Man, was I in for sticker shock: $829 with options, including the lighter of the two available ranges of variable-tint lenses. That's about what I paid for my regular glasses, with Varilux lenses.

I'll try them out in the next couple of weeks and hope I can get the hang of seeing everything as one, and don't have the headaches some are reporting here. I'm wondering if that could be at least partially attributable to the degree of correction?

One more thing. If you do order shooting glasses you might want to ask for the non-prescription lenses that come with the frames (if the lenses are interchangeable) in case you want to pass them on to some else at a later time. I did and got them at no additional cost, but I was told that they're normally not included with a prescription order.

I'm pushing 70 and shoot IDPA. I'm also farsighted. As one earlier poster suggested, I purchased a pair of "readers" with a large aviator-style lens and suddenly all was well. However, cheap readers aren't necessarily safety glasses, so I talked to my eye doctor (also a shooter), and he had me actually bring my G34 into his office where he experimented with different setups in lenses. I ended up with a good pair of shooting glasses that not only lets me see the sights, but I can also plainly make out the targets to almost 50 yards.

• 7 months later...

I had to get lens implants because of injury. Did you know there are leaves on trees? It's not just a wash of green. I can just see the front sight in focus and actually see .45 hits at 50 yds. Haven't seen this good since I was five. After a few years of every contact lens possible and lots of misery I am not squinting or getting headaches and asking other people to read my texts. It has been awesome. For what it's worth.

As a grade schooler, I remember the car ride home after getting my first pair of glasses. I was thinking the same thing - I can actually see leaves on trees.

It sounds like your implants corrected both near and far vision. Correct?

Check out www.optx2020.com

You "stick" these on the inside of your basic shooting glasses...with water. This allows adjustment in any direction. Find the magnification that brings that front sight into focus and blast away.

I want to try these out. My regular Rx for contact lens in my dominant eye is -1.00. What power magnification will work for mono-vision?

As a grade schooler, I remember the car ride home after getting my first pair of glasses. I was thinking the same thing - I can actually see leaves on trees.

It sounds like your implants corrected both near and far vision. Correct?

Yes

I'm 59, I got to where the front sight was just this blur on the front of the pistol. When it came time to get a new prescription filled, I asked to the eye glass place to help with my inability to see the front sight. The place was locally owned and the owner listened to me and suggested that we take my "tri-focal" glasses and basically turn them upside down where the magnifier part was on the top of the lens, I had him make me another pair of glasses in this configuration, it worked. I can see the dust on the front sight, but I do sacrifice clarity at distance. I only use them in USPSA matches as most of the targets are within the range that even with the fuzziness on the distant targets, I can still make them out good enough, I can't see any "perfs" for the scoring zones though, I just shoot center mass.

After 35 years of playing this game, I did finally give in to "Open Division" this year, but I regularly shoot the other divisions and use my "special" glasses for that.

Go Seniors!

• 1 month later...

I normally need +2 readers for computer and reading work but for shooting open sights I found that it depends how far away my sights are... ended up getting a range of cheap diopter safety glasses and can experiment depending whether I'm shooting a pistol or iron sights on a rifle. Also for red dots.

Generally I shoot most guns with no diopter but I found some bifocal shooting glasses so I can peer down and get a +2, very useful for loading and working on guns while on the range.

• 4 weeks later...

So, at 56 and being blessed with ageing eyes and astigmatism I go a couple of routes. One is Peep hole sights. On a pistol you ask? Nope, on my shooting glasses. There is a product out there you have to place on your glasses, dominant eye, and acts just like a peep hole sight, which makes everything clear

Option two is I had my Optometrist provide me with lenses at the exact focal length of my Glock 34 I shoot with Iron sights. For me it is exactly 26 inches.

You take your shooting stance, with an unloaded, and twice verified gun or your preference, extend the gun to your shooting position and move to a wall. Best way, have someone measure form your nose bridge to the wall or front post and now you have your focal length.

Readers had worked at 1.5 and the Optometrist said it would help but it did not account for my astigmatism.

I tried the two eye bit but was too blessed with headaches and vertigo.

I've heard that peep sight works well for Bullseye, but because of the constantly changing angles with the targets in action shooting, it may not work so well.

Before you spend a whole lot of money, try some full lens safety readers (no transition, all reader). I got some off Amazon for about $14. Another shooter pointed me at them and I always use them to shoot now because both of my sights are in perfect focus. I still have some problems with some cataracts in low light and no, it doesn't help astigmatism, but you might be able to tell if you want something like that before spending the big bucks with the doctor...Just a suggestion.

By the way, the prescription safety glasses at Walmart were $40. Readers at $14 and I have crisp edges, money well invested.

On the peeps, I do use for IDPA and so long as I am aware of them can acquire pretty fast. It takes practice, like everything we do in the sport.

• 4 weeks later...

I went with the dominant eye in focus on the front sight and distant focus in the other eye. I have to put them on an hour before I shoot and have to take some time to adjust after I take the off but they work very well.