Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cabinet for bullet storage?

blopez50

I'm curious how you guys store all of your bullets. I've got ~50K of different shapes and sizes and I've got to get them more organized than just laying on the garage floor....

I'd love something like this minus the wheels:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Heavy-Duty-Garage-Metal-Storage-File-Rolling-Cabinet-Stainless-Steel-Doors-/261035249199

However, I'm almost positive that that cabinet would crumble with that much weight in/on it. I've thought about buying one and then riggin up some sort of angle iron reenforcement. I see a couple websites sell true heavy duty cabinets that will hold >1000lbs but they are pushing $1,000.

Does anyone have any advise or things that have worked well for you? Ideally this would be a <$300 project.

Thanks!

I got a cheap gun cabinet like this one (https://www.google.com/search?q=gun+safe&client=ms-android-verizon&espvd=1&source=univ&tbm=shop&sboxchip=Shopping&sa=X&ei=flhlU4GBKMmCogSi-4DQAw&ved=0CCcQsxg&biw=360&bih=567&dpr=1.5#spd=5872586285623357919) but bigger off Craig's list for $60 and built shelves inside using 2x10 lumber to store reloading components.

Awesome!! Thanks for the link. That brand looks like it has great reviews. I found this one on amazon for a few bucks more but I can get free shipping. I think we have a winner!

http://www.amazon.com/Edsal-MR482472BLB-Shelving-Capacity-Height/dp/B00BD5O11A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1399153739&sr=8-4&keywords=edsal+shelving

I only have about 10,000 bullets in stock. They are on the floor of my gun room. 5 stacks with them organized by caliber and weight. I could probably add another 1,000 per stack before I have to start looking for other solutions.

A cheap Stack-on cabinet with a couple extra shelves would be my solution.

I just keep stacking them on the shelf on the bottom of my bench. Gets more stable every time I place an order!

thats what I do also bottom of bench every thing in reach the bullet heads i load most frequently.odd stuff on floor of closet in reloading room

One thing worth keeping in mind with these things is what your floor is made of / covered with. I load in my guest room (wall to wall carpet with a wood sub-floor in a second story room). These shelf units that boast they can hold several thousand pounds tend to have very thin (sheet metal) feet. I'd guess they put all their weight on about 1-2 square inches worth of floor. That's fine on a concrete garage floor...but I'd be worried about what one would do to carpet, laminate, or wood). Since I load in a carpeted furnished room, I just slide the boxes of bullets under the furniture. :) A few thousand here, a few thousand there. At least it's well distributed.

BTW...I do keep the bulk of my brass collection on a shelf unit like the bigger/wider Edsal one. I used the sort of angle material garage door tracks and openers are hung with to bolt it to the wall because I extended the depth of the top shelf so it could hold a car-top cargo box.