Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie to the forum with question

Steelman

I am new to the forums but not new to shooting. I am a recreational shooter who enjoys revolvers more than any other firearm. I am not a competition shooter. I am asking this question here because I have been informed that some of the best wheelgun shooters in the country are on this forum.

I apologize if this question seems ridiculous, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. I am interested in buying new revolvers from Smith & Wesson but I have been hesitant because I have heard so much "chatter" about recent poor quality in their firearms. Now, I am not a collector. I use my guns. Before I drive myself crazy finding older S&W models (pinned/recessed, etc)....is there any truth to all the talk of poor quality? Since I plan on using my firearm and not worrying about resale value, I'd rather buy new with a lifetime warrantee.

I'd appreciate any experiences...good or bad..that would help me take the plunge into the newer models...or avoid them. I particularly like the 627 models.

Regards.....

I will speak only from my experiences and not the rumors I have heard. I have accumulated some new smith and wesson revolvers over the last few years (686, 625JM, 327 R8, and a 686SSR) and I haven't had any problems with a single one of them. The 625 and the 327 get shot regularly during the less serious part of my practice sessions for fun. The others I shoot every now and then. One of the guys I shoot with had to send his new 627 back to have the barrel realigned/put on straight. Even with that said I would still recommend buying one new, I known if the need comes up for another revolver I will buy a new S&W. Again this is just from my experience and I am curious to see what others have to say. Hopefully Carmoney will chime in, so you can get an opinion from a guy who has worked on a lot revolvers. I hope this helps and good luck.

+1 to what WheelGunHunter said. I have two 617's that I use for Steel Challenge. The six inch one developed a crack in the frame. I sent it to S&W. In 15 days I had a brand new gun. CS is the best. Chances are nothing will be wrong with a new gun. If there is; they will make it right.

Edited by Macinaw

I have recently gotten into Revo shooting, both USPSA, and IDPA along with ICORE.....I have several new S&W revolvers.....I did have a minor issue with timing/trigger on a new model 64. I contacted S&W, and had it back within 10 days and it was repaired perfectly....no issues with the new S&W. Many prefer the older guns, especially for collectors....but for shooting them a ton....the new guns are just for that....

Steve

I only shoot S&W revos, since about 1975 and do all my own custom ones. I have shot and worked on everything from 1917 to the latest 8 shooters during that time. I believe that the overall quality is now the best ever. There is an occasional individual gun with a problem, but not that many. Most of the problems I've seen on newer guns are minor and easy to fix if you know how to work on revos. I would take a new one over an old one every time. This is just one opinion, there are many others out there.

I am new to the forums but not new to shooting. I am a recreational shooter who enjoys revolvers more than any other firearm. I am not a competition shooter. I am asking this question here because I have been informed that some of the best wheelgun shooters in the country are on this forum.

I apologize if this question seems ridiculous, but I can't seem to get a straight answer. I am interested in buying new revolvers from Smith & Wesson but I have been hesitant because I have heard so much "chatter" about recent poor quality in their firearms. Now, I am not a collector. I use my guns. Before I drive myself crazy finding older S&W models (pinned/recessed, etc)....is there any truth to all the talk of poor quality? Since I plan on using my firearm and not worrying about resale value, I'd rather buy new with a lifetime warrantee.

I'd appreciate any experiences...good or bad..that would help me take the plunge into the newer models...or avoid them. I particularly like the 627 models.

Regards.....

I have quite a few SW's revos. To be accurate: a couple of the older ones I bought had significant quality problems, so not all of the "oldies" were gems. That said, the new PC 627 I bought about three years back was so bad that I will never buy another new SW gun. Period. IMHO, a $1300 gun from their "performance center" should not be a fixer upper like mine was.

Over the years (maybe last 15) I used to check the SW revos that came into our local range and I found a lot of defects. I used to think SW shipped defective guns to California on purpose to punish them for the stupid gun laws here. In reality, I think the poor quality is the result of the "modern" business model which says you basically do away with the skilled people and costly QA and replace it with a lifetime warranty. That way you use the customers to find the dogs and fix them when they come back.

My major disappointment was believing that the PC guns were quality made..... and worth the extra money.

Edited by bountyhunter

The problems I have seen on new SW revos generally are:

1) Barrels not set correctly. You see it on the barrel to frame alignment and it requires the rear sight to be cranked to one edge or the other.

2) Hammer dragging the frame showing rubbing on one side, see this a lot.

3) Side plates not fitted so that they are so tight it takes dynamite to get them off. Having to finish the side plate fit is a royal PITA.

4) Head space fit problems, rounds dragging the breech face cause binding.

5) barrel cylinder gap too wide, see this one a lot.

6) Poor lockup, cylinder wobbles too much in lockup.

I have been shooting S&W revos for a long time. I think the newer ones are better quality. I had reservations about MIM parts that have so far been unfounded.

Warren summed it up very well above, and he's really helped me learn a lot of the finer points in revolver maintenance. Truth in advertising, he's done quite a bit of machine work and revo smithing for me the past few years and I think his work is top shelf - better than anyone I've ever encountered. If I'd met him years ago it would have saved me a lot of money and a ton of frustration.

Bounty hunter sums up the problems I've seen in my own guns. I would add crappy barrel crown and forcing cones that look like they were cut by a hungry beaver. All are easily fixed at home, except the barrel clocking and cylinder gap. Those require tooling that I don't have.

In short, buy new S&W revolvers with confidence. They are much better quality now than in the 80's. Not pretty, but good shooters. Parts are readily available - unlike older production stuff where parts are getting scarce and pricey.

I really like my 627. No complaints at all.

I will add that I wouldn't pay one cent extra for a Performance Center product. The PC stuff looks neat, but the workmanship isn't any better than regular production. Unless PC is the only way you can get what you want, stick with the production line because it's just as good and a much better value. Other opinions may differ.

Thanks again, gentleman. I appreciate all input. Since I have no specific requirements (I am not a competitive shooter) I am only looking for a fun range gun and perhaps an upgrade to my old model 60 Chief's special for a carry gun (maybe the 640 pro). I am kinda fond of the N frame 357 models since they are such soft shooters....so I will stay with them. But I now know that I do not need to seek out the PC models...particularly for casual plinking.

Edited by Steelman

And a final note/recommendation: Try competitive shooting!

Ya don't have to be some kind of "super shooter". There is a class for everyone. Its great fun and great practice for gun handling skills, accuracy, etc, etc.

I hear it frequently: "I like to shoot but am not good enough to compete." But if we can get them to come out and shoot once, virtually without fail, they enjoy it immensely - and many return to compete again.

Edited by varminter22

I would love to try and shoot competitively...problem is I live in southern delaware and the closest range is 55 minutes away and they only have IDPA. I can't find a revolver competition anywhere in the state.

I would love to try and shoot competitively...problem is I live in southern delaware and the closest range is 55 minutes away and they only have IDPA. I can't find a revolver competition anywhere in the state.

Even with their weird rules, IDPA is a very revolver-friendly game.

55 minutes isn't all that far to drive. Having moved west in my 20's, I understand the concept of distance is different back east but I regularly drive an hour or more to matches in Colorado. You should go check it out.

Even with their weird rules, IDPA is a very revolver-friendly game.

55 minutes isn't all that far to drive. Having moved west in my 20's, I understand the concept of distance is different back east but I regularly drive an hour or more to matches in Colorado. You should go check it out.

Not only is IDPA very revolver friendly, but after some of the other participants see you finish ahead of them in the overall results they may bring out their revolvers and join you in the division. I am one of the few revolver shooters in my area, and the most recent times I have participated in IDPA I was the only revolver shooter and ended up with half of the auto shhoter behind me in the standings (to their amazement). IDPA stages can only require (if you don't miss any shots) 18 rounds to complete. Edited by Blueridge

Steelman,

Please don't take this as harsh criticism. I DO understand, as PatJones pointed out, the concept of distance is different in the east than for many of us in the west.

Heck, when I was a kid in rural northern Missouri, it was a BIG deal to travel to the next town - only 19 miles distant! (Okay, that was in the '60s.)

Out here, we think nothing of driving one to two hours (or maybe occasionally more) to a match. Where I live in Nevada, Reno is a bit over an hour, Carson City is about an hour, Winnemucca is two hours, etc.

Why did I write this? I don't know. Its just a bit amusing how opinions differ on travel.

Here in Kansas 1 1/2 hours is common for a monthly match, 2 hours is about maximum. And it's the time not the distance. At 80mph that's 160 miles, a little over halfway across the state.

I love watching the revolver guys shoot at uspsa. I think it's awesome watching them reload faster than I can. Their accuracy is awesome too. I was at an idpa late last year and there was an 80 year guy shooting an old 626. He was slow as molasses and was having a great time. I don't think I ever saw a group larger than a half inch. I hope to shoot with that guy again.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Oh I am a member of the range.....I make the drive. And I don't mind...with 3 young children I count it as valuable alone time for me. The main problem is that I am a physician and most of the week I cannot be more than 35 minutes from the hospital (I am a trauma surgeon) so it limits the amount of time I can practice. I don't mind the distance.....I just wish I had something closer so I can be within that 35 minute window of travel. How dare my job interfere with my pleasure sports?? ;-)

I can relate to being on call, I spent 8 years on the other end of a cell phone. Property management in a resort community is a little less serious than surgery, but I had similar distance restrictions. I don't dryfire as much as many others here, but I do find that practicing reloads at home is very helpful practice.