Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Glock, Double feed issues?

thegeneric

I just bought this set up:

Glock 17 - KKM Threaded Barrel w/SJC comp

Glock 17 - Zev Tech Slide (some lightening cuts)

Mounted RMR

Glock 35 frame (stock)

Glock 17 mags + Dawson Extended base plates

I bought this gun for fun, I have never really shot competition nor great intentions to do so. As such, I don't reload and just want to play around at the range.

Remington 115 UMC ran this set up flawlessly.

Fiocchi 115 would consistently double feed (1-2 times per mag)

I also noticed that brass doesn't seem to be ejecting very far (3-6inches up and then dropping).

What could be the weak link in the set up? What could I do to increase the reliability across types/brands of ammo?

Thanks in advance guys!

I am sure others will chime in. But the problem with most open guns is that the compensator is going to counteract a lot of the energy that is going into cycling the gun, this allows the Open shooter to run Hot loads that will provide enough gas to keep the gun shooting flat. The effect of the compensator is probably causing the weak ejection. You can lighten up the recoil spring, to let the gun cycle more freely.

When you say a double feed do you mean the gun is not extracting the empty case and trying to feed in a live round behind it. If that is the case then I would suspect the extractor. Maybe a weak spring or a dirty or damaged hook.

Two live rounds. So, hotter load or weaker recoil spring should be a step in the right direction? I'll try shooting the same ammo with the comp removed to confirm that issue. Thanks for the fast response. Any other ideas?

I shoot a G17 with a carver minor comp, RTS2 on the slide. I run a carver steel recoil extra length recoil rod with a 10# wolf recoil spring in it. Even with that is fails to lock open on last round 50% of the time. 11# spring gave FTE's

Have you tried different mags?

Also as said, open guns are set up to shoot major loads unless sprung light. Most factory ammo doesn't make them function correctly.

I have 5 mags, all with dawson + 6 basepads. Problems were not mag specific (unless the basepads do something). Issue has not come up again whatsoever with all other ammo. Completely regulated to the Fiocchi 115 i shot.