Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 shotguns to choose from...

robg2008

Benelli M2

Beretta 1301

Remington versamax sportsman

All of them need a bit of lifter work and some massaging.

M2: lightest, best ergonomics, very reliable, recoil a bit more, 3" loading port, 922r compliance.

1301: Not best in any area, recoil is harsh, safety is NOT ergonomic, suicide tube dumps, 922r compliance.

Versamax: Softest recoil, very reliable, largest loading port, eats everything, US made, shell latch needs tuning, stock mag tube is weak.

Properly set up and tuned, a tricked out M2 (like a TTI version) is a phenomenal shotgun that will give you years of service. The Versamax is definitely in the same league with a few tradeoffs. You should really try loading a few and shooting a few. Problem is, the shotgun is the most personalized of the three guns. You have to make it fit you for the best recoil management and to be able to hit with them at speed. Fit is probably the most neglected aspect of the shotgun, and one that is very important.

We will be looking hard at the Stoeger M3000, which right now, I believe is the budget leader for 3Gun. The Vinci and SLP are also decent options.

I would disagree on the safety ergonomics issue!!! it may not be where it is on the Benelli Auto's or VM, but it is the same as the Benelli Pumps and no one has ever said that it is in the wrong place??

Its just different, not wrong or right???? the biggest issue I have is that it is relatively easy to fire the gun with it there when you're fingers are cold or you're trying to go faster than you should. as for the "suicide tube dumps" i don't know what that means?????????????? Felt recoil is a personal judgement!!! IMO the 1301 is NOT more harsh than a Benelli M2, and the fact that it will shoot the same ammo as the VM will, allow it to produce less recoil by using lighter ammo. It is also lighter than a VM, almost as light as a comparable Benelli, which translates to less upper body fatigue and arm stress, and less muscle tension to get moving and stop moving.

As for not best in any area???? cost to purchase and make competitive seems to be a winner.

trapr

Trapr, I despise the safety position on the Beretta autos and the Novas and the Vinci. That's my only hangup on getting a 1301 or a Nova. I'm sure I could get used to it, but why on earth would anyone think forward of the trigger guard is better than aft? I've heard people say things about gloves, but that has never made sense to me because behind makes it come off when you're putting the finger inside the trigger guard anyway. At least it does for me. My opinion anyway.

For what it is worth, I shoot an M2 and I had a chance to shoot a Versamax demo gun at last year's Pro-Am. I thought the Versamax kicked like a mule compared to my M2 and my buddy's M4. To each his own. :)

Benelli M2

Beretta 1301

Remington versamax sportsman

I thought the recoil on mine was terrible till I fit the stock, added a kickeez pad, and broke it in. Now it kicks noticeably less than my slp.

All of them need a bit of lifter work and some massaging.

M2: lightest, best ergonomics, very reliable, recoil a bit more, 3" loading port, 922r compliance.

1301: Not best in any area, recoil is harsh, safety is NOT ergonomic, suicide tube dumps, 922r compliance.

Versamax: Softest recoil, very reliable, largest loading port, eats everything, US made, shell latch needs tuning, stock mag tube is weak.

Properly set up and tuned, a tricked out M2 (like a TTI version) is a phenomenal shotgun that will give you years of service. The Versamax is definitely in the same league with a few tradeoffs. You should really try loading a few and shooting a few. Problem is, the shotgun is the most personalized of the three guns. You have to make it fit you for the best recoil management and to be able to hit with them at speed. Fit is probably the most neglected aspect of the shotgun, and one that is very important.

We will be looking hard at the Stoeger M3000, which right now, I believe is the budget leader for 3Gun. The Vinci and SLP are also decent options.

what the hell is a suicide tube dump?

I am not exactly sure what the reason is, but there is a sequence where the entire tube tries to unload. It is a death jam with a shell on the lifter and one halfway out of the tube. Apparently, the whole tube has to be carefully unloaded, and some have had to take the barrel nut off and unload the tube out the back. Having seen the despair and frustration in person and having a few guys tell me about how it happened to them, certainly something that needs to be fixed. Maybe there is a simple solution.

Ok. I think that is because the shell release-to put one on the lifter - is different than a Benelli. The manual release is at the back of the lifter, kind of like a button. The Benelli is on the side of the receiver. I haven't taken a 1301 completely down yet, but when I got mine I used some dummy rounds to figure things out. If you don't completely cycle the action,put a round in the chamber and then eject the round, it will stay on the lifter and another round will come out when you press the button. It comes from trying to baby the action instead of letting it lock shut,then ejecting it. Unloading can be done slowly-the stage is over. You just have to let the bolt close naturally and eject from the chamber. I am sure someone more clever than me will figure how the mechanism works and can be improved. Never had it happen while shooting. I have had Benelli's death jam. Good reason to leave a slot in the lifter when you weld it. I think magazine springs that are too strong contribute and improperly welded lifters may contribute. I know they do on Benelli's. I'm not done with my 1301, still need to polish my lifter, but not going to weld it. Shooting a match on Saturday with it. Never have had a Remington death jam.

Oh, the death jam. I heard rumors of that when I was deciding which shottie to get. I've never had it happen to me or seen it at a match. (runs away to go knock on wood) .

• 3 weeks later...

I love my 1301, here's how you get the jam he is talking about. I have done it in practice several times. Load one in the chamber and hit the bolt release, load the tube, hit the bolt release. It releases 1.5 shells onto the lifter. PITA to clear. I am fairly new to shotguns, so I don't know if any other semi will do this, but the 1301 will do it every time. Partial answer is just don't hit the release button. However, the nice large release button is great when you are trying to hit it and not so great when you accidentally hit it. Not sure if there is anything that can be done to stop it from functioning that way. That being said I find the recoil to be quite manageable compared to other semis I have tried and I find it swings quite well with its light weight. I did just send my lifter to C-RUMS for a weld job. I have small hands and found that I was still getting my thumb caught when loading. I went with it since it requires the fewest mods out of the box based on these forums. 1301 seems to currently have the fewest required mods to make 3 fun ready and the fewest mods to fix design issues, again based off the 3 gun forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk