Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 shotguns to choose from...

robg2008

So there are topics on each of these guns here but I wanted to see what the general opinion is on which gun is the best.

Benelli M2

Beretta 1301

Remington versamax sportsman

I like the benellis reputation, i like the berettas out of the box features, and i like the versamax for its light recoil. Which one in your opinion is the best right now?

I understand the price varies between the 3 from 800-1200 new but that aside which would you put your money in?

I just brought home my Remington versamax competition tactical today. I must say it is looking very promising. It can be taken to a match the day you bring it home. There are minor tweaks that I will be doing but depending on loading method they might not benefit you. Retail was 1290+tax. Comes with lots of extras as well.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There is no one clear winner. You will hear individual preferences expressed and folks who quite naturally like the one they chose. The 1301 is new in the US but has been run quite reliably for years in Europe. I wound up liking the combination of light weight and middle of the pack recoil of the 1301. Others like the lighter recoil and gaping loading port of the VM and don't mind the weight. Others like the M2 because it is so light and many a big dog is successful with it. Decide which fits your priorities.

Edited by Neomet

I have a VM Sportsman with a 28" barrel. I sent it off to C-Rums for a lifter and port work and put a Carbon Arms Versatube on it. Probore chokes are, IIRC, under $10 each at CDNN. Voila, a reliable 3 gun shotgun with 10+1 capacity for right around $1000, cheaper if you hog out the port yourself. It does not have an adjustable stock like the standard VM.

Blonde, brunette or reds.......I havent shot the 1301 comp but I have extensively shot the veramax and M2 ALOT and both have their pros and cons. They are both going to be reliable so your good to go there. The M2 is lighter so it handles better but also means more felt recoil, the Versa is a softer shooter for sure. Aftermarket stuff M2 is the winner, most everything is tayloed to that but veramax is catching up. Honestly they both need the same things out of the box

1) Extention (Nordic has them for both so even)

2) welded lifter (DIY or send it out, TTi has ones you can just buy and my local store, Sacramento black rifle, has them in stock so I can just go pick one up for an M2. I believe C-rums now offers after market lifters for veramax too so your shotgun isnt ever down, just order it up and swap it out.

3) opened port (again a tie)

4) large bolt release (lots of them say for benilli but I just drilled and taped my JM pro and used it and it works fine, so again, Tie

5) maybe large safety (M2 has a few more options i think but no biggie.

I like blondes so my nod would go with the veramax

but I would go out to a 3gun match and test drive them because you might like reds or brunettes

The 1301 gives you the best of both worlds. It's about the same weight, with a lot less recoil than the m2. It may not as soft shooting as the VersaMax, but it's substantially lighter, and still has a very mild recoil. As far accessories, it only needs a tube, and a little opening up the front port to be ready to rock. I welded up my lifter, but it wasn't really necessary.

I got a Vinci a couple of weeks ago(standard with 9+1 tube), not done any work on it yet, fired 230 shells through it 65mm + 70mm and no problems. Less recoil than the M2 and less muzzle flip.

Had a Beretta 1301, it used to slam fire occasionally, importer couldn`t find the reason why, so I exchanged for the Vinci instead.

Best move :)

I second the versa max and ship it off to c-rums. I spent way to much on my custom versa max and if i had to do it over again i would buy the sportman in 26" barrel length buy the carbon arms 10+1 kit, welded lifter, bolt handle, release, mill for rear sight, trigger job, shorten the stock and you're set. I'm a smaller guy and sometimes I jam up the benellis by not holding the shotgun tight enough. I recently shipped my slp which was giving me problems to jeff he fixed the lifter issue, cut the stock and did a trigger job runs 100% now finally.

You couldn't pry my Benellie M2 away from me. Had it for 7-8 years, hunted with it, 3 gunned with it, it has never jammed and runs light ammo, slugs, bugshot, turkey loads, etc.. I bought it with the 28" barrel and then later got a 24" and then did all the standard mods. It shoots the Federal cheap slugs accurately with both barrels. Maybe I just got lucky.. But my brother goes down to Argentina dove hunting where shooting 2-3 K rounds a day is normal and the guide services all run and rent Benellis.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

Not a fan of the M2 at all as for me it's way to light where I don't have the control that I like with it I also do not like how it shoots at all. I had one sold it and went back to the 1100 I had prior to that It dosent load quite as easily but I can shoot it a lot faster. The only one I would consider replacing it with would possibly be a versa max. As I prefer a heavier gun I have more control over Over a light one I throw around

The 1301 and Versamax are gas guns. The Benelli is inertia operated. The 1301 is a lot cleaner than a Versamax, but still needs fairly frequent cleaning-everytime you shoot, essentially. They are all reliable new.Any shotgun will do when new-it's after it has traveled, been shot a lot, had different ammo in it, been dumped in barrels and gotten wet that reliability becomes evident. The 1301 is the most modern in design, material, after market options and in concept. Really the first of its type. If it was made here, it could have a long tube like in Europe from the factory, but it can not be imported in that form, hence the need for an added tube. However, it is the least expensive of all of them and can be had for 900+. I really like my 1301, but if I had to pick a shotgun to shoot a Multigun Nationals or important match, I would choose my Benelli. I would not choose a Versamax, unless I needed a really soft shooting gun for other reasons (injury, arthritis, female, etc.) I will say I have seen the smallest females out there shoot Open Benelii's without any problem and do very well. It's hard to do this without you having all three guns in front of you. My 1301 is really set up for Horner matches and local use-8+1 and slingable. Those matches can really beat up a gun. 1 Benelli M2 2 Beretta 1301 3 Remington Versamax. DVC

Benelli

Versamax

FN

Beretta

whatever

Find a light load that it likes and only shoot that if for some reason the gun is finicky (but it shouldn't be from these choices)

Then otherwise, all these guns can be modified to have the same core necessities to make a good 3 Gun shotgun -

• High capacity
  • Easy loading
  • Accurate with slugs
  • Chokes & loads patterned

Once all the fancy accessories go on the gun, and its works all the time with your light burner competition load, the only difference between any of them is - how much does it weigh? and whats recoil like?

I wanted minimum recoil, so I got a Versamax as it kicked the least - but if I wanted something more lightweight I would get a Benelli.

Well as an update I had picked the m2 but ultimately got a stoeger m3000 for 454 out the door. I have sent it off to MOA to get a full competition package done to it. Played and shot the stoeger and decided it worked great for me. Even after the package deal I will be under 800 for a gun I feel it good to go with a reliable inertia system. Plus I saved 100s. Thanks for the advice people!

Any feed back on the Mossberg 930? I picked one up with 3 gun in mind. It has the extended tube and charging handle is also extended.

The JM pro version is what i just replaced. Its a good gun to get started in 3 gun because its ready to go out of the box.

IMO the gas system is not very reliable and very picky on ammo. That is just my experience.

If you want to get serious about 3 gun like, I have decided too, you need to have equipment that is as close to 100% reliable as possible that is why I made the switch I was tired of dealing with issues with the shotgun.