Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

July

benos

Jack,

Recently, early one morning I was driving home from the Zen meditation center and the lyrics - "Falling down I am a psychoholic, erratic and sure I cannot fail" came in from nowhere. They just kept going around in my head, so when I got home I fired it up. I've been jamming it ever since. What a couple of CD's!

:)

Since I've been brain dead on shooting trivia, we'll have some fun stuff:

Jack Barnes, one-time famous IPSC shooter and now retired IDPA and semiprofessional trick shooter, claimed to be able to blindfold himself, hang up his hat, and then walk 50 meters blindfolded, then turn around and shoot a hole right through his hat. Now we know Jack's a crafty fellow and a rock solid marksman, but since he couldn't see through his blindfold, how did he manage this feat?

But wait, there's more.  What common animal's sound does not echo?

And since those two are not too terribly difficult, we'll break some new ground and make it a three-part question. Which of the four following words does not belong in this group, and why?

Oriole

Orange

Month

Oil

The first to post all 3 correct answers in one post will be the winner.

Jack Barnes...could have hung the hat on the end of his gun...then the hat walked with him.  :)

The quack of a duck does not echo.

Four words...could be a number of things.  Here are a couple that come to mind.

- three of the words start with the letter "O"

- Orioles, Oranges, and Oil all come from the Earth...they are tangible.  Month...that is a concept that we invented.

OK, here goes nothing.

1)Jack Barnes:

2 other possible answers.

a) took the blindfold off after he turned around and bang. (didn't say specifically other than he walked blindfolded)

B) 25 meters walking forward, 25 meters backing up, turn around, point blank, bang.

2) No echo animal sound

Duck's quack.

3) Which doesn't belong?

I'll go with the painfully obvious answer Flexmoney gave first, month doesn't begin with the letter O whereas the others do.

We have a winner with jhgtyre!

Nice work on not only getting all correct, but for reading the rules and putting all 3 answers in your post. And maybe you should thank Flex if you "fed off" his post.

I need to come up with more old time shooting trivia... this internet thing just kills most "normal" trivia. I found the answer to the duck quack thing within 60 seconds on ask.com.

Send me your info in an email or message and your book will be on the way.

be

And Flex,

"Month...that is a concept that we invented." Can you say a word that isn't an invented concept?

Thanks Brian!  You've got mail.

I do owe Flex some thanks for the trick shot answer.

I knew the duck thing because I am a Drake (duck).

I knew the rhyming puzzle because I majored in English lit. and you pick up those little bits of trivia along the way.

thanks,

-jhgtyre

No worries if my post helped anyone else out.  I have a tub of Slide-Glide and if I got another book, I'd just give it away to the needy.

And Flex,

"Month...that is a concept that we invented." Can you say a word that isn't an invented concept?

Without going too deep into what is real and what is perceived...

If our planet existed without humans...there would still be oil, birds and plants...month is a concept that we invented.  

hug.gif

(Edited by Flexmoney at 5:04 pm on July 17, 2002)

Flex,

"...there would still be oil, birds and plants...month is a concept that we invented."  

How do you know for sure?

But disregarding that for a moment, when does a bird "become" a bird; and when does a bird "become" a non-bird? Every word is a description. There is no reality in words. We use words to find meaning. Once we find the meaning, if we don't forget about the words, words will confuse us. Just like if we use a net to catch a fish - once we catch a fish we can throw away the net.

We can't eat the net.

Who applies the meaning?

Just after your body/mind left your mother's womb, and just before "your" cord was cut - where you you, or your mother?

Thought is time. Doesn't matter if it's tree thought or a month thought.

;)

"No worries if my post helped anyone else out.  I have a tub of Slide-Glide and if I got another book, I'd just give it away to the needy."

Judging from your incredibly generous devotion to help out, that was obvious.

Thank you!

:)

Random deluded thoughts!!!

I have rhymed an un-rhyme-able word!!!  Oriole & Creole  (Is it like a spelling bee, do I have to try to use it in a rhyme?)  Then again, when does a rhyme "become" a rhyme?;-)

Also temporarily inspired by the meaning/word discourse below to remember something I believe is attributable to Lily Tomlin.  "It's my belief we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."