Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legality of Removing Holstered Pistol From Belt

I use a Safariland ALS holster mounted to a QLS that in turn mounts to the reciprocating QLS permanently attached to my ELS belt for 3 Gun. Is it illegal in USPSA Multigun or the other outlaw rules to remove holster with secured pistol from belt between stages at a match?

Thank you.

Nick

For USPSA removing the holster with the gun in it or handling a holstered gun that is not on your belt is a DQ (assuming it is not being removed at a safety table). Bag the gun at a safe table and then take your holster off and you are fine.

Per the 2014 USPSA MG Provisional Rules:

2.2.1 Except when within the boundaries of a safety area or when under the supervision and direct
command of a Range Officer, competitors must carry their handguns unloaded in a gun case, gun
bag or in a holster on a belt worn by the competitor.
If your holster is not on your belt you are in violation of 2.2.1 and would be a Match DQ per 5.3.1.
At Outlaw matches you could probably get away with this and not have a problem but be discrete.
Doug

I try to do this whenever I don't need the pistol for a stage. Some matches I can just take the holster off and put it in my bag anywhere. Others I go to the safe area before removing the holster and will sometimes just leave it the gun sitting in the holster in the safe area until I get done (assuming its attached to the bay where I am shooting).

Outlaw- depends on the match. I'm not sure how an unloaded holstered gun that is attached to the belt can hurt someone less than an unloaded holstered gun not attached to a belt. How is carrying it in a pistol rug any different?

Outlaw- depends on the match. I'm not sure how an unloaded holstered gun that is attached to the belt can hurt someone less than an unloaded holstered gun not attached to a belt. How is carrying it in a pistol rug any different?

Cuz 2.2.1 says so....

Think about the appearance of a blaster in a race holster.......

That looks a lot like a naked gun being pointed at people......

Not to mention the fact that some competitors will then throw the belt over their shoulders, which will result in muzzles being pointed at other people, etc.

Just not a great idea......

Not to mention the fact that some competitors will then throw the belt over their shoulders, which will result in muzzles being pointed at other people, etc.

The belt newer comes off. That's the beauty of TMMS/ELS/QLS.

I take every opportunity to remove unneeded gear only attaching what is absolutely necessary for that stage.

You confused me at the words appearance and race holster. :)

You can point a pistol in a rug at people, and that's ok because no one knows which direction the muzzle is pointing?

I wonder how the rules would change if we simply said treat each gun as if loaded. I see far too many competitors sweeping others with a gun because "it's unloaded". And a chamber flag is almost like a hall pass to some.

Edited by Bryan 45

Keeping an un-needed pistol in your holster makes as much sense to me as shooting a shotgun stage with a rifle slung. Go to the safe area, and do what you have to do. JMO.

Bob, this post reminds me of the match I shot where you had to keep your rifle slung through-out the day. It was a rifle only match, so easier to deal with in that respect, but it had to remain slung even while you were not on a stage. (eating lunch, going to the john- all the time) I thought it was kinda cool to see from an equipment practicality standpoint.

IDEA TIME!!!!!

A sling and holster line that eases those pesky trips to the john....

....dare I say: BROWN FORCE TACTICAL GEAR

Of course, I leave the details to others................................

............and the royalties..............

ericm

last "outlaw" match I worked was the FNH i think 2 years ago now, and you were able to gun up and down at your car, as we drove stage to stage. Didn't need to be at a safe table to un do a pistol, either. It was "Big Boy Rules", don't point a gun at anyone unless you want one pointed at you. Also it was fine to sweep people with the slung shotgun you started with, but not once you started putting shells in. Honestly, I didn't like that rule, but I think slung for the point of slung is just not worth it.

IDEA TIME!!!!!

A sling and holster line that eases those pesky trips to the john....

....dare I say: BROWN FORCE TACTICAL GEAR

Of course, I leave the details to others................................

............and the royalties..............

ericm

That literally made me laugh out loud. You trying to wake my kid?!

If you can take the time to remove the holstered gun, I don't understand the resistance to just bagging at the safe table. I have seen plenty of folk's holsters break. The Safariland gear is very trick and just plain genius, but bagging it is the safest route and leaves less chance for an accident, mistake, or equipment failure.

That being said, I am really trying hard to resist switching over all my belts to 1 belt and one system..... (guess what I was searching that got me into this thread...)

It's is confusing in the Uspsa rule set when in one rule calls the holster a safety device. Then when the holster is removed from the belt is somehow looses it's safety and becomes a DQ able ofence. To me. It is or it is not. IMHO.

I agree that bagging the gun is the best way to follow the uspsa rules. I think a new rule that all gun bags should be clear in color (my favorite btw) that way we can tell when someone is pointing a gun at me.

It's is confusing in the Uspsa rule set when in one rule calls the holster a safety device. Then when the holster is removed from the belt is somehow looses it's safety and becomes a DQ able ofence. To me. It is or it is not. IMHO.

I agree that bagging the gun is the best way to follow the uspsa rules. I think a new rule that all gun bags should be clear in color (my favorite btw) that way we can tell when someone is pointing a gun at me.

Kind of like the mesh back packs that have overrun our schools! :)

I am confused about this whole post. I read it as "I don't have the energy to make it to the safety area to bag a gun during a match, I need to take it off right here, right now or I won't be able to perform on the next stage." They call them rules for a reason, don't like the rules, don't play the game. I actually watched prima donna's go to the safety area and remove equipment with no problem. All sounds suspiciously close to " Sorry I gotta bail on tear down, my dog needs a biscuit." My .02

I think much of this actually involves the differences in USPSA multigun and outlaw multigun, of which the original question addressed both specifically.

I am confused about this whole post. I read it as "I don't have the energy to make it to the safety area to bag a gun during a match, I need to take it off right here, right now or I won't be able to perform on the next stage." They call them rules for a reason, don't like the rules, don't play the game. I actually watched prima donna's go to the safety area and remove equipment with no problem. All sounds suspiciously close to " Sorry I gotta bail on tear down, my dog needs a biscuit." My .02

I think much of this actually involves the differences in USPSA multigun and outlaw multigun, of which the original question addressed both specifically.

My bad.

For USPSA removing the holster with the gun in it or handling a holstered gun that is not on your belt is a DQ

At the Rockcastle club meet this past Sunday, I rearranged my belt for a shotgun only stage, which included unclipping my BladeTech Tek-Lok with my unloaded Glock in a WRS holster attached to it while it was in the trunk of my car, and simply left it there in the trunk of my car. I deserve a DQ for that? It's somehow safer to unholster it with people around at the safety area then stick it in a bag and walk around?

Bagging at the safe area seems to be the most practical and polite thing to do. Whether that area is a designated table, your car, or wherever the MD says is safe. I've shot a couple of outlaw matches where the safe area is "over there is fine" and sometimes feel a little uncomfortable with people I don't know just casually handling guns. Most of our local matches are very strict about when and where to handle guns so anything outside of that norm for me seems a little suspect. Having said that, my first major was TFD this year and at no point did I feel unsafe. Everyone seemed to use their trunk or rear hatch of SUV and at no point did I see anyone doing anything besides gearing up/down. I don't think removing a holstered pistol around people is unsafe gun handling but I do think you should be respectful enough of others to walk off away from the crowd and remove your pistol.