Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

USPSA Target Stands

19 minutes ago, CrashDodson said:

what are the dimensions of that angle iron?  How much do you think it cost per stand in material?

1/8" thin 1.5" x 1.5"  Two legs are 24" long and center one is 18". 1x2 tubing is cut to 2" long and welded to back side of angle to get a flat surface for weld.

If I remember correctly, cost was about $8-9 per stand not including my labor or paint. I got a discount when I purchased quantity. Cost also included welding materials...wire and gas.

Edited by Mark R

here's a low profile option that doesn't require being a 'metal head' ....

of course the whole 'frozen ground' thing will be a problem but since I don't even go outside when its below 70 deg, I'm certainly not going shooting so these work fine ...

pvc target stand.jpg

On January 7, 2017 at 11:48 PM, bsand said:

Swap the stakes for lag bolts and your golden lol. I don't stop shooting when it goes below 32.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Those actually are lag bolts with the ends sharpened using a grinding wheel ....

The metal stands that we have look much like the drawing in the OP. The sticks we use must be about 1x1", and the metal is chosen to give a slightly loose fit. One problem is that sooner or later somebody is going to dent the metal with a bullet, making it hard or impossible to remove or insert the sticks.

17 minutes ago, perttime said:

The metal stands that we have look much like the drawing in the OP. The sticks we use must be about 1x1", and the metal is chosen to give a slightly loose fit. One problem is that sooner or later somebody is going to dent the metal with a bullet, making it hard or impossible to remove or insert the sticks.

Just use a 1/2" drill bit and drill out the dent/hole until the stick goes back in.

On the stack of stands I posted earlier, I use 1x2" tubing for the vertical uprights. Then go to Lowes and purchase 8 ft furring strips... they work fine. Cut the 8 ft. firing strips to 5 ft. and 3 ft...the 5 foot ones are the height of most classifiers (no more measuring 5 ft high at the shoulders) and 3 ft sticks work great for 3 gun targets.

I think the steel used in our stands isn't the strongest, so the dents get pretty large.

The range is pretty sheltered, so there's no need for much weight for stability. Using small sticks, and small steel for the bases, keeps the weight down, making stage setup easier than with heavy materials. 2x2" stuff goes into walls and other props.