Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Could someone suggest drills based on the video

Jerra

I am hoping that someone could suggest some drills that I could do to make the largest improvements in my game. There seems to be a whole lot of information, dry fire, and live fire drills. I'm not sure where to start, or what would have the most impact.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

EDIT: I guess I am too new to post a link to youtube - See the post below

Your start position looked kinda awkward, like you didn't really have an aggressive platform to spring from. I would suggest trying to get as aggressive of a position as you can to get moving faster. Your draw looked pretty good, you had your gun up and just about ready to shoot as you came into the first position, I would suggest running a little harder to the position. Also, from the first position it looked like you wasted a lot of time on the last target with the hard lean, it probably would have been better to shoot it from the second position as it would have been easier to see and to shoot from a more stable platform. All in all it looked pretty good, reloads were decent, could have been a bit quicker. Supposing your hits are good; I would work on reloads, entries and exits etc.. Also one thing; it seems you are shooting like tap tap... tap tap... tap tap... I would work on speeding up transitions and making two distinct aimed shots on each target and try to get a cadence more like; tap.tap.tap.tap.tap.tap.tap.

How were your hits?

pretty good! I agree on the above posts. some good ideas above. sometimes knowing what is lacking, you develop an idea on how or what to work on at practice. reloads can be done at home, the transitions...seting up two or three targets at the range. keep in mind that the gun follows what your eyes are looking at, as you shoot from target to target.

your off to a good start! good luck

Where to start? That's easy. Get Ben Stoeger's book: Skills and Drills for the Practical Pistol Shooter and his about to be released dry fire book, both available at his website ... Benstoeger.com. Follow the dry fire program outlined in the book and for live fire work on his marksmanship and core skills drills for the next 6 months. That's the way to see the biggest gains. If you skip all that and fall into the trap that if you could just learn to move better you'll be a better shooter you won't learn the fundamental marksmanship skills required for USPSA style shooting .... Namely the ability to shoot accuractly at speed.

Until you learn to stand and shoot accuractly at speed (the first set of drills in Ben's book) what makes you think you'll be better if you add moving into the equation? Once you are capable of shooting Ben's stand and shoot drills on command near or at his goal times you are really to work on shooting accuractly at speed with movement .. Note, I am not talking about shooting on the move here which is a whole other discussion.

Most new shooters don't want to follow this path becuase who wants to stand around and shoot? USPSA is about running and gunning, right? Well most shooters never make it to A class either ...

Don't get me wrong, you'll get plenty of great advice here (including from Ben) but to succeed you need a systematic, well thought out plan and the best way to do that is invest in some professional help, like Mr Stoeger who if you are not aware is the 3-time and current USPSA Production Div National Champion ....

Edited by Nimitz