Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PRP Extreme Kit - Inconsistent Firing - Video Included

IrishPsych

Installed the PRP Extreme with the prefit trigger on my XDM 5.25 9mm. I used the spring in the top right of the photo below. The spring to the left of that is a spare I'm guessing. Are these different weights?

I'm getting inconsistent firing. At one point in the video Im pressing really hard and it's not firing. Any ideas?

Youtube video is here, can't figure out how to embed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Sy-qulEfE

DSC_0083.jpg

Edited by IrishPsych

• 5 months later...

When I fit my PRP trigger I didn't keep taking it apart to trim down the over travel stop (on the back of the trigger that hits the frame)

I used a piece of crocus cloth (flexible sand paper) to trim down the trigger stop while it was installed.

This reminds me, make sure you follow the PRP instructions about pushing the slide down to make sure it releases the striker. Cold weather does have a dramatic effect on these plastic guns. What works when it's warm out may not work when it's cold.

Been there done that.

PRP has it out there for those the pay attention.

When I fit my PRP trigger I didn't keep taking it apart to trim down the over travel stop (on the back of the trigger that hits the frame)

I used a piece of crocus cloth (flexible sand paper) to trim down the trigger stop while it was installed.

This reminds me, make sure you follow the PRP instructions about pushing the slide down to make sure it releases the striker. Cold weather does have a dramatic effect on these plastic guns. What works when it's warm out may not work when it's cold.

Been there done that.

PRP has it out there for those the pay attention.

Are you saying that you shouldn't trim it while it is installed? Because that was my plan.

I did my finally fitting while it was installed.

"I used a piece of crocus cloth (flexible sand paper) to trim down the trigger stop while it was installed."

Also, after you think you have it perfect. Put the gun in the freezer for about 1/2 hour and re-test to make sure it still works remember to also push the slide down to the frame and test again.

I, like several others, have had the striker fail to release when the gun got cold because there wasn't enough over travel.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem but after firing 150 rds. in about a 20 minute time frame. I could kind of "play" with the trigger with my finger on it and get it to go and a few times if I waited a couple of seconds it would reset by itself. the actual trigger was all the way reset but striker not. It seems to be a hot problem rather than cold when the gun cooled for say 5 minutes it would go thru 40 rounds before it occurred again.

I had to file down the over-travel a bit as I was having the same issue were it would not fire all the time. The amount of material that I removed was very small, I did not remove it to file it down, I just ran a fine file over it and then tried dry-firing it until it was consistent.

BritinUSA, I can never get mine to malfunction dry firing only after it gets hot from live fire. If the trigger goes back far enough to fire. How does removing material, making it go back further help the striker reset? My trigger returns to the forward position and then the striker resets.

BTW, talked with a friend who has had similar issue, his advice was call S/A. Apparently they think it is a weak trigger return spring and will replace with a very slightly heavier and problem all gone. So calling S/A on Monday. And will advise when solution is reached. Thanks for your inputs.