Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm or downloaded .40 recoil

race1911

Who has first hand knowledge of how much recoil a downloaded .40 is compared to a 9mm for Production division....................the reason I'm asking is that with the new crop of guns such as Tanfoglio Stock Custom (which if purchased in .40 can be downloaded for Production or also used with a Major power factor for Limited 10 or Limited) or the CZ SP01 (IF it also comes in .40) am I only getting a good all-around gun OR would it be best to just buy a 9mm for Production if it is easier and faster to shoot than downloaded .40 AND something else for Limited division?

I down load my Para .40 to shoot IDPA with. If you stick with a .40, your equipment will have more options of divisions to shoot.

Besides, recoil happens, just work on controlling it correctly. my Para does shoot considerably softer with 130 PF loads ans a 8lb spring.

My only experience is with a Glock 34 vs 35. I like the recoil impulse of my 35 when loaded to minor better than the 34. The recoil impulse in the 35 (180gr MG 3.2 gr of TG and 13 lb spring) is a little longer so the perception is that it is softer. Others like the 34 for its snappiness back to sight picture.

In this area I think we are treading on largely subjective opinions on how they feel to us. Short of shooting the guns yourself, it may be hard to get info that is entirely helpful.

My buddy, Chris on this board, has a .40 load that shoots softer that 9mm in a Glock 35. It used 135 grn bullets and either IMR 700x or 800x I can never remember which. Do a search and see if he ever posted the mix. I shot a bunch of those rounds and its a sweet load.

My experience is that although the overall felt recoil of a downloaded 40 is softer, I notice the slide movement more. To me this feeling messes with my shooting rhythm. Even downloaded, it's not as soft as a 9mm at the same power factor IMHO. More noticable in the polymer frame guns than steel frames.

40 does have the versatility thing going for it though and may be the economical and wise choice for an all around gun.

im a fan of the 9mm for production, ammo is so cheap one wouldnt have to reload, and factory loads are just about the right PF too.

i know you can make a downloaded 40 run, but isnt it better to have a gun function as designed(9mm) than try to make another cartridge do something it was never intended to??

i have had two match malfunctions shooting glock 34, one was due to blazer ammo :unsure:

the other happened when i fired a shot with a wall too close to my right side, the ejected hull bounced off the wall and back into the gun....making a nasty mess <_<

on the other hand, i see people having all kinds of trouble with downloaded 40s...alot of that can be contributed to poor ammo though....

shoot a 9, shoot a 40, find out whats best for you...odds are a gun thats still production legal might not be the best limited/L10 gun.

just some thoughts.

i have had two match malfunctions shooting glock 34, one was due to blazer ammo :unsure:

on the other hand, i see people having all kinds of trouble with downloaded 40s...alot of that can be contributed to poor ammo though....

I have seen several people who have downloaded 180gn or 200gn .40 to 130pf (myself included) who have had major trouble. Those heavy bullets loaded so far down just felt weird to me.

The Blazer 9mm on the otherhand, chrono's right at 135pf for me which is perfect for Production. At $3.86 a box, it's not even worth reloading.

I shoot Glocks, so I can't say what will and what won't work in other guns.

My main gun is a G35 (40).

It is setup to be legal in USPSA Limited AND Production. Heck, I even have a stock recoil spring/rod in it (that makes me legal for IDPA's SSP division as well).

Of course, I also have a G17 (9mm) to play with. Shouldn't everybody?

Shooting minor, it doesn't really matter to me which one I use. Either feels fine.

Downloaded 40 runs great in my gun. Never a jam. (I shoot 180's, and just drop my charge of TiteGroup down for minor.)

I could stand to go with a lighter recoil spring when shooting minor 40...as my gun doesn't toss the brass very far...not a big deal.

...odds are a gun thats still production legal might not be the best limited/L10 gun.

Or...:)...it might be just fine. :);):)

For what it is worth...I have only have 4 classifiers on file for Production (not my main focus). They come in at a solid Master classification. I recall shooting a mix of the G17 and the G35.

In Limited, the classifier that took me to A-class was shoot with the G17 (minor). And, I think the classifier that put me in Master was shoot with the G35 (I know I shot minor there too). The scores that put me in GM in Limited weere shot with the G35 at Major...in it's Production legal setup.

I guess I am saying...don't get too hung up on the gun and gear. As others have said, go with what feels right to you (or you can train into feeling right)...and what runs 100%.

If you want a gun that is competitive in the most divisions and you reload your own ammo then .40 is the way to go.

If you must have the softest shooting gun then 9mm will probably be better, but IMO how soft the gun shoots is only a very small advantage in the big picture. The difference between a minor 9mm and a minor .40 isn't going to make a difference if the shooter uses proper stance and grip. We are talking loads UNDER 165PF here. Controlling the recoil should not be a problem. Stage plan, movement, shot placement, etc are going to be much more important to your score.

Or if you don't reload your own ammo and want something primarily for Production or IDPA then the 9mm will be nice since factory ammo is available close to PF.

• 2 months later...
Guest Gunslinger45

I have found that the difference between .40 and 9mm both @ minor is minimal. I shoot an XD40 in USPSA production division and load 185grn "Black Bullets" down to around 140-145 PF and the difference is about like it is between a .45 and a .40 both loaded down to major. Here's the (?) Do you want lul or snap recoil? I shot a 9mm Tactical after shooting my .40 Tactical during a practice session and could not gain split speed. What I do gain is a bigger bullet hole for those "Tight to the line" hits and I don't have to buy new dies to reload. I think it is 6 of 1 and 1/2 a dozen of another = personal preference. If we were not limited to 10 rounds in Production I would probably shoot a 9mm but since we are I like the advantages that a .40 gives me.

The last time I spoke to TGO (A couple of years ago at a S.A. Steel Challenge) he was shooting a 9mm Tactical using Mag-Tech factory ammo.