Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"Fitting" a shotgun

If you catch the stock in your armpit, it is too long. If your thumb hits your nose when you recoil, it is too short. If it hits right or left of where you are looking, it may be you, or it may be cast-off is too much/ too little. In a nutshell. :lol: A British stock-fitter from Holland and Holland would disagree, but that is the simplified version. Pitch is the angle between the recoil pad and the rib, which affects how the gun moves (pitches) during recoil, and also how smoothly it mounts to your shoulder. Hardly anybody really ever "fits" their shotgun any more. Benelli and a few others include stock spacers which can be used to adjust cast and pitch, but since few people understand what the spacers do, they usually stay in the baggie in the bottom of the box.

Edited by openclassterror

I need to dig up a link to Pat Kelley's article...

Since a shotgun does not have traditional sights, the "fit" of the shotgun to your body is what lets you mount it consistently and hit what you aim at. The easy way to test fit is to pick a target at, sat, 20 or 30 yards. Start with your shotgun at hand but not mounted; do a low ready, for example. Look at your intended target. Close your eyes and mount your shotgun. Now open your eyes. You should still be looking at your target. If your front bead is not in line with that target, you need to do some fitting. A good fit will mean that every time you do that drill your eye will be looking through your bead at your target.

billdozer also makes an excellent point that a properly fit shotgun will give you a solid cheek/stock/shoulder geometry that can help with recoil.

Edited by CJW

If you want to learn about fitting a shotgun, buy a copy of the "Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald. Less than $25.00 on Amazon. Very good, understandable explanations as to what goes into fitting a shotgun.

Pat

If you want to learn about fitting a shotgun, buy a copy of the "Stock Fitters Bible" by Rollin Oswald. Less than $25.00 on Amazon. Very good, understandable explanations as to what goes into fitting a shotgun.

Pat

Thanks for the lead.....

I read Pat's article and did some fitting adjustments with my SuperNova. I really can't tell you how to know what needs to happen. I can only tell you when it doesn't feel right. Thus it takes me a long time and small adjustments to get it there.

My M2 came with the shim kit. At first I shrugged it off: no one needs such things. I'd been shooting "stock" shotguns for 30 years and was always pretty decent. Finally got around to tinkering with the shims and BAM! Makes a world of difference in your poa/poi. But where it really helps is recoil management and the resultant quick transition to the next target.

I need to dig up a link to Pat Kellet's article...

Since a shotgun does not have traditional sights, the "fit" of the shotgun to your body is what lets you mount it consistently and hit what you aim at. The easy way to test fit is to pick a target at, sat, 20 or 30 yards. Start with your shotgun at hand but not mounted; do a low ready, for example. Look at your intended target. Close your eyes and mount your shotgun. Now open your eyes. You should still be looking at your target. If your front bead is not in line with that target, you need to do some fitting. A good fit will mean that every time you do that drill your eye will be looking through your bead at your target.

billdozer also makes an excellent point that a properly fit shotgun will give you a solid cheek/stock/shoulder geometry that can help with recoil.

I pretty much did this exercise when I first got my Benelli. Except I wasn't aiming at a target in particular. I would close my eyes, mount the gun and open my eyes. I took notes on whether I was looking up the rib (too much drop.... stock too low), down the rib or over the rib and bead (not enough drop, stock to high, and whether I was looking to the left or right of the rib.

After I had 10 sample points, I adjusted with the shims provided with the gun and now when I mount the gun I am seeing none of the rib and nothing but a perfectly centered bead. As stated above, a properly fit gun really shines when recoil comes into play. It's a challenge enough to shoot quickly and accurately when you are just combating the recoil. When you add in the fact that you have to reposition your head because the recoil knocked you off of your improperly fit gun, it makes it even harder. With a proper fit, you just move the gun to the next target and your head and eyes stay in the correct place.

In addition to Mr. Kelly's article, it really is one of those things where you just know. Go to your favorite gun shop and lay them all on the counter side-by-side. You will feel a significant difference and will form a definite preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need to dig up a link to Pat Kelley's article...

Don't mean to disagree, but this only works if you are made out of granite. No human being can remain that still with your eyes closed and go thru the motion of mounting a gun and still be on target.

What you are looking for is to mount the gun and get the correct sight picture.

Now here comes the bear! You do not have a rear sight you will have to shim, pitch, shave,or add material to the stock to get to the correct point of impact.

Bring the gun to your face not your face to the gun.

Keep your eye on the rock and your head on the stock.

FWIW

Mildot

After that it is all about the gun fitting you to hit the target.