Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SP-01 Shadow USPSA Production Rig Sound-off

JPG

Curiosity killed the proverbial cat I guess - what do you use and why?

Bladetech holster & CR Speed mag pouches here. Honestly, the only reason I chose these was because these brands were all I knew about at the time :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Started off with a DAA Belt, PDR holster, and five Race Master magazine pouches. Still love the belt and magazine pouches. The lining on the holster does make it gentle on firearms finishes, but it's hard to establish a good firing grip when the pistol is holstered because of the mounting system.

Got in my BOSS holster from Ben's pro shop yesterday. The mounting system feels exceptionally solid and getting a firing grip is no problem at all. And damn is it fast.

I can't consistently break one second draws out of my PDR if any amount of aiming is needed, but I'm predicting that I'll run in the 0.8 s range during live fire practice this weekend with the BOSS. Not a big deal over the course of a match, but establishing a solid grip every time will be huge.

Was using CR Speed and Blade Tech but switched to DAA belt , Ghost Stinger holster, and 5 Ghost 360 Mag Pouches. The DAA belt just feels stiffer, the Ghost holster seems to sit a little further away from the body and the Ghost mag pouches because they are cheaper and are able to turn 360 degrees. The mags seem easier to grab off the belt with them turned away from the body. Bought it all from Ben's pro shop....

"Bladetech holster & CR Speed mag pouches here. Honestly, the only reason I chose these was because these brands were all I knew about at the time :)"

+1

Still happy with them!

DAA belt, Racer mag pouches, and Bladetech DOH holster. Love them all.

I have the Racemaster pouches on my Limited rig, but I actually prefer the less expensive Racers. They're lighter and I don't miss the swivel mount at all.

I have the Racemaster pouches on my Limited rig, but I actually prefer the less expensive Racers. They're lighter and I don't miss the swivel mount at all.

"cause ya got em from from me, and I'm awesome! ha ha haaaaa!

I agree with Les! I would also look into the BOSS mount from Ben's shop. It's the shit!

Why am I in the CZ forum?

Edited by JaeOne3345

Lol! I already had black. I got fashion red from you to replace them. Ive noticed they are faster.

"cause ya got em from from me, and I'm awesome! ha ha haaaaa!

I agree with Les! I would also look into the BOSS mount from Ben's shop. It's the shit!

Why am I in the CZ forum?

I'm running a Blade-Tech holster on the Boss Hangar (Ben Stoeger Pro Shop), with Ghost mag carriers (bullet nose out, and I'm loving it!), and CR Speed belt. It's the perfect set-up, at least for me. I had the Blade-tech DOH. Love the holster, but the DOH part was just ok. I got the Ghost Stinger Holster, and I liked the set up much better in regards to the gun position relative to my body than the DOH. However, the plastic Ghost Stinger hangar set up seems pretty cheap and fragile on the Ghost Stinger. I was afraid if I brushed against a wall or something while running a match, it would snap off. So, I got the all metal Boss Hangar, put my Blade-tech holster on it (I preferred it over the Ghost Stinger holster), and life is good. I am using magazine base pads from both Springer Precision and Ben Stoeger Pro Shop. I got the Springer Precision pads for my CZ factory mags, and the Stoeger pads for my Mecgar mags. Both work extremely well.

ProductionSetUp_zps8f8a3f89.jpg

Edited by JGus

This thread really needs some pics so here is my prod rig.

I was not happy with anything I have tried and I have tried them all. So I took the things I liked about each setup and made my own.

Safariland 014 hanger. USPSA Kit modified to fit the Stinger plate - For me the nicest most adjustable hanger.

Ghost Stinger kydex and plate - For me the nicest looking and best retention kydex.

An expensive way to go but now I am happy and comfortable. Did the same thing for my SS rig.

gsl4.jpg

gsl.jpg

gsl2.jpg

gsl3.jpg

Edited by StraightUp_OG

DAA Belt, DAA Race Master pouches, Ghost Stinger Holster.

I have used CR Speed, and currently have ELS for 3 Gun. DAA is slightly better than the standard CR speed and much better than ELS. The ELS belt seems like it twists much easier than the DAA or the CR speed but it is really easy to attach things and the modular nature is great for 3 gun. If I was doing a 3 gun set up over again I think I would build it on DAA with Blade Tech TMMS just because it would be a bit more solid.

Race Master pouches was because they got good reviews, looked great, and had a lot of options for mounting at different angles and cant. I have used various handmade kydex pouches (Kytac, Comp Tec, CoM Kydex) and these are vastly better. With my Kytac it was always a struggle to keep tension just right to allow for swift reloads without risking having an impromptu yard sale on mags when running was required. Race Master's retention and release both are wonderful; no more yard sales. The only issue I have had (which may be specific to the aluminum version) is that when I grab magazines and pull at a more extreme angle instead of straight out I would sometimes have the magazines hang up where the mag release slot on the magazine made contact with the edge of the magazine pouch. I have addressed this problem by taking a little bit of material off of the inside of the pouch to ensure the mag doesn't hang up in that area on the way out.

I would have purchased a DAA holster as well but at the time the only model available was the one with the suede lining. Instead I opted for a Ghost Stinger holster. I really love the hanger on the Ghost. I have a BladeTech DOH for 3 Gun and don't like the way that it hangs off the belt at an angle giving you no other contact with your body to help stabilize the rig.

The Ghost's hanger runs down the belt parallel with the rig and has a large circular area that rests on your leg. The holster itself is also attached to the rest of the rig much lower when compared to the Blade Tech. To me this makes the DOH on the Ghost feel much more comfortable improves the stability of the hoster and consistency of my draw since it doesn't have the same type of flex that a BladeTech DOH has. The kydex holster itself on the Ghost is good overall but the one I got didn't have as much clearance for my front sight as I would have liked. I had to work on it a bit with a file. I think Ghost has now resolved this issue and the newer models have more sight clearance.

Edited by alma

CR Speed belt and pouches, BladeTech DOH holster.

for me it was easy, insert spacers into mag pouches, change the holster, shoot CZ.

If I was building a rig from scratch, I'd go with the DAA belt over the CR.

CR Speed belt, Comp-Tac International holster, BOSS hanger, Ghost pouches.

post-354-0-17075900-1398655191_thumb.jpg

BOSS hanger is a gigantic improvement over the Comp-Tac hanger.

The CR belt is very good; just bought a DAA belt for my Open/Ltd rig, it's a little better.

Few weeks ago swapped to the Ghost traditional pouches, just never got the hang of the Ghost bullets-out grab after many years reloading the standard way. Still think Ghost are the best pouch because they hang on the belt lower than other brands, you can try either position style, and the price is low.

Update on switching from the DAA PDR to the BOSS: looks like I bought myself 0.2–0.3 s on every stage I'm shooting from here on out. Plus, you can establish a full firing grip on the holstered pistol. That's not the case with the PDR, the cut of which blocks your thumb.

Update on switching from the DAA PDR to the BOSS: looks like I bought myself 0.2–0.3 s on every stage I'm shooting from here on out. Plus, you can establish a full firing grip on the holstered pistol. That's not the case with the PDR, the cut of which blocks your thumb.

Boom. Glad you like it.

My 2c for how to adjust the BOSS. Set it all the way at the lowest track. Set the holster vertical: perpendicular to your belt. Tighten the screws just snug enough to not let the holster flop around. Get in your shooting stance, stay in it. Holster your gun. At vertical setting this probably is somewhat awkward. Now grab down on your gun as hard as you can in the holster so that it moves to your natural grasp angle. Remove gun, remove belt, mark the position, tighten your screws all the way, you're done.

Edited by eric nielsen