Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 shell plate timing--fixed--indexer block

Dillon sent me an alignment tool that helped fix that. You wouldn't have to have it though. Just take shell plate of, loosen two bolts, and adjust. If I had my manual in front of me I could be more specific.

I am fairly sure its a matter of the shellpate being tightened to much. At least when I get this, I just loosen it a bit until the ball underneath the plate can actually hold it in place.

I always start off with the plate to tight after a caliber change due to the added bearings to eliminate the powder snap.

You might be able to eyeball it back to center using the indexer block (p/n: 16671).

I'd make sure the shellplate is rotating freely and centering on the ball detent, then adjust the indexier block as required to get the primer centered.

(see post #11 in this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=157741)

I had to adjust the index block a little on my machine to get it centered up, no problems since.

Remove the shell plate, loosen the 2 cap screws holding the base to the ram just enough that you can move the base. Rotate the base until the primer punch is centered( in the OPs case counter clockwise about a 1/16 of an inch. Reassemble and check. Call Dillon and get the tool for next time.-------------Larry

Guys, think about this a little please. Both the hole that the primer punch screws into and the hole that the index ball goes into are BOTH in the platform and no matter what position the platform is in the spacing between them never changes. That leaves either a shellplate that is too tight or the index block being out of position and that is it for centering the primer punch. The alignment tool is for setting the alignment for the shellplate to match the toolhead.

Brian

Edited by Too_Slow

I'm doing something wrong. I used the alignment tool last night before I posted (which is a GIANT PITA) but like Too_Slow pointed out.......that ain't the problem.

I'm using the replacement index ball/spring and the washer cam fix to help alleviate snapping. Dillon doesn't like these parts but they don't have a better solution other than using my left hand as a clutch for indexing which is not acceptable. I tried removing the washers and using the original ball/spring but the primer punch is still off center by what looks like the same amount.

The primer punch was centered reloading .38spl but It's off center when I changed to 9mm. I'm 99.9% it's something I'm doing but I'm at a loss.

The case insert slide is adjusted for 9mm.

The primer locator arm is adjusted for 9mm.

I double checked the shell plate is correct for the 9mm.

The shell plate isn't too tight to index but tight enough not to snap.

Tried OEM indent ball/spring.

Tried alignment tool.

Had same issue. Your alignment issue is probably going to be fixed by adjusting the indexer block #16776. Dillon makes a tool that slips on the primer punch to aid in adjusting the block. The block should push the shell plate to the detent ball and no more, not the detent ball "pulling" the shell plate to final position. You are out of time. Actually too advanced. The instructions are very specific and will set you up right. It can be done without the tool with a calibrated young eye. I have found a adjustment manual online that includes the index timing that may help you.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalkregahuty.jpgze6aze6y.jpg

Edited by Prebaned

IMO, too much pressure on the index block may cause the shell plate to move off-center just a tad when first raising the platform. Once the index block is adjusted properly, the shell plate will retain it's position all the way up to the dies.

HR

This did the trick and got 1k rounds in the box to QC.

The screws had a type of loctite on them so there's no way they loosened over time. Very odd.

I'm thankful for everyone's help.

THANKS!

Had same issue. Your alignment issue is probably going to be fixed by adjusting the indexer block #16776. Dillon makes a tool that slips on the primer punch to aid in adjusting the block. The block should push the shell plate to the detent ball and no more, not the detent ball "pulling" the shell plate to final position. You are out of time. Actually too advanced. The instructions are very specific and will set you up right. It can be done without the tool with a calibrated young eye. I have found a adjustment manual online that includes the index timing that may help you.

Sent painfully from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalkregahuty.jpgze6aze6y.jpg

You might be able to eyeball it back to center using the indexer block (p/n: 16671).

I'd make sure the shellplate is rotating freely and centering on the ball detent, then adjust the indexier block as required to get the primer centered.

(see post #11 in this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=157741)

I had to adjust the index block a little on my machine to get it centered up, no problems since.

Saw this post concerning alignment:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=186691&p=2063254

Followed the directions using the index alignment tool per attached. Moving the index block gave me perfect alignment of primer punch to shellplate.

:cheers:

• 3 years later...