home brewed gun oil

sheepdog566

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been a big proponent of the Royal Purple Mix having used it for about 10 years. I actually give away most of the gun oil I get off prize tables after a few tests prove it does not pass muster and go back to the RP mix. Last year, I got a bottle of Lucas Extreme duty and, though I tried, I could not find any test in which it did not meet or exceed my home brew mix. I spent time in the lab at Colorado School of Mines comparing wear surfaces and running some common Tribology tests on several BCGs. Suffice it to say, every gun I have shot in 2015 has been lubed with Lucas Extreme Duty or Lucas Gun Oil.

I don't believe in marketing hype, especially when in comes to gun oils. We pursued a relationship with Lucas Oil because we believe it is the best product. Yes, we carry it, sell it and provide it with our uppers, the only lube Carbon Arms has EVER endorsed. If you know me at all, that should be a good enough reason to try it yourself. If you see James, Mike or myself at the range, feel free to ask us any questions...rest assured our personal guns will be maintained and lubricated with Lucas Oil Products.

I've been a big proponent of the Royal Purple Mix having used it for about 10 years. I actually give away most of the gun oil I get off prize tables after a few tests prove it does not pass muster and go back to the RP mix. Last year, I got a bottle of Lucas Extreme duty and, though I tried, I could not find any test in which it did not meet or exceed my home brew mix. I spent time in the lab at Colorado School of Mines comparing wear surfaces and running some common Tribology tests on several BCGs. Suffice it to say, every gun I have shot in 2015 has been lubed with Lucas Extreme Duty or Lucas Gun Oil.

I don't believe in marketing hype, especially when in comes to gun oils. We pursued a relationship with Lucas Oil because we believe it is the best product. Yes, we carry it, sell it and provide it with our uppers, the only lube Carbon Arms has EVER endorsed. If you know me at all, that should be a good enough reason to try it yourself. If you see James, Mike or myself at the range, feel free to ask us any questions...rest assured our personal guns will be maintained and lubricated with Lucas Oil Products.

From the info they provide it does appear that the Lucas is pretty good stuff. My home brew should better it in all areas except for one, mine has the same EP concentration, higher viscosity, higher flash point and the same pour point. But the one area is a pretty significant one. Mine migrates more than I like. I need to get back to playing with it and add a tackifier, then I think I'll have it nailed...

• 2 weeks later...