Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

home brewed gun oil

sheepdog566

I was at a armorers course and the instructor talked about his home made lube consisting of 2/3 synthetic transmission fluid and 1/3 STP oil treatment. Has anyone tried this formula or anything like it. I mixed up a batch which makes a crap load of oil for 10 bucks. Haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guys are using Rotella-T with good results.

I like Slip2000 EWL. I've been trying Fire Clean recently. Both are good.

I may try the Rotella as well.

Remember if you don't have time to clean... lube it!

I was at a armorers course and the instructor talked about his home made lube consisting of 2/3 synthetic transmission fluid and 1/3 STP oil treatment. Has anyone tried this formula or anything like it. I mixed up a batch which makes a crap load of oil for 10 bucks. Haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

Sounds like a fine brew to me.... Use it unsparingly, frequently and often. Oil is cheap, guns are not.

I mix Allison Transynd (20% used and 80% new) with Mobil Delvac 1 and 50W Synthetic gear oil and then I mix that with Lucas red & tacky grease and Lucas hub oil... I take that and cut it with CLP then I mix in a little round up herbacide and permethrin... kind of cover all the bases.

I mix Allison Transynd (20% used and 80% new) with Mobil Delvac 1 and 50W Synthetic gear oil and then I mix that with Lucas red & tacky grease and Lucas hub oil... I take that and cut it with CLP then I mix in a little round up herbacide and permethrin... kind of cover all the bases.

and I forgot to add, I have small bottles that I put the mix and 3 stainless steel ball bearings in and chuck them 1 at a time into the lathe and spin them for 6 hours to mix...

Edited by Paul-the new guy

Funny, I was using the exact same recipe, but I have modified it recently, and removed the Round Up, it was killing the grass on the berms and causing premature erosion problems, but I replaced it with an equal volume of 100% DEET to keep the bugs away. YMMV

I haven't been shooting for many years, but somehow I have still managed to run out of various gun lubricants at inappropriate times, and substituted, at various times and with complete success:

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 15w 50

Mobil 1 Synthetic Ball Bearing Grease

Motul 7100 Racing 4T 20w 50

Mobil SHC Gear Lubricant

they all work fine, afaict. The ball bearing grease was really awesome, made the gun feel like a super-precise swiss watch, but resulted in the worst mess afterwards. Will not use it again unless I have to. The oils tend to run off the worst...stuff was getting on my lenses, coming through the mag release onto my hands, etc. Don't want to use them again unless it's an emergency, because it's hard to use a sufficiently small amount. The gear lubricant made a huge mess and ran off too much, will not go back there again.

Again, not enough experience, but my early theory is that anything works fine in terms of lubrication, and the only difference in a pistol-specific lubricant might just be the convenience of it's use for firearms purposes, certainly not in the superiority of it's lubricating properties.

I guess it is completely new to me that people use motor oil for guns. I am going to have to look into this. Should be way cheaper than what i use now.

Metal parts, sliding back and forth against each other, tight tolerances, high pressures. Not so different from an engine.

Some of us have been using 4 stroke motorcycle oil. It has additives to keep the clutch plates clean and higher temp rating and in 20w-40 or 15w-50 stays put. Bel Ray Thumper works great.

An old gunsmith in G.J. Colorado used a mixture of WD-40, Slick 50 and STP on his 1911's and people loved it.

I've been using Mobil 1 but I'm going to bust out the timer and run it against Royal Purple and Castrol GTX.

Seriously though, for pistols I like straight 15-50 Mobil 1, and I cut it 50/50 for the AR and semi shotguns with Mobil 1 ATF.

We really need a like button. ROTFL!

Edited by Shadowrider

I have a gallon of Ed's Red sitting next to the bench, Use a 9x13" covered Brownie pan from Wal-Mart, It makes a great solution to soak the cruddy gun bits.

Of course that was before I got an ultrasonic. Love that thing. I agree with the thought "Lube liberally, lube often, lube is cheap guns are expensive".

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure on my exact formula but I mixed some STP with my Mobil one 5w30 till it was to thick than cut it with two stroke oil. Turned it green but its the slickest stuff I've ever used. Been using it for the last two years if I ever run out I might try making something else.

1 quart Quaker state 10/30 full synthetic, 1 tub enos heavy slide glide, I tub frog lube. blended on the stove over medium heat. greatest stuff ever!!!!!!!! shake gently before use.

Edited by buller01