Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

QD scope mount

bigarm

I have a Colt Competition Pro rifle that now has a Vortex HS 4-16 LR scope mounted for use as a varmint rifle. I would also like to use this rifle for multigun and I think the scope would be overkill for multigun. I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4 scope that I would like to mount on it, but be able to change easily when needed so would like a QD scope mount. I think I would like a cantilever mount. What ones do you recommend?

Edited by bigarm

I have been happy with my Larue LT104, I chose the VFZ which is $50 cheaper and an ounce or two lighter. I don't have any experience with anything else except a ARMS #19 though, I mainly shoot irons.

Hurley

How does that VFZ work and does it return to zero?

VFZ does not have throw levers. It is basically two bolts with tick marks allowing you to tighten them to the exact place where they were before you removed the mount. I have not removed my mount and re-installed it yet (I just removed the scope and put irons on my CTR-02, I won't put the scope back on it until after the NRC match in August). I would suspect that it will return to zero as good as any mount, providing that the rails and mount are clean and free of any debris when the mount is re-installed. It does require a tool to remove/install the mount compared to tool less for throw levers.

Hurley

I will second the Larue. I switch between an Aimpoint and a scope and have had good RTZ with the Larue QD but I did spend some time getting the levers set correctly and I try to use the same pressure when tightening the levers.

IMO - never trust a mount to return to zero if your next shots are important. Always verify 0.

I like ADM and Bobro mounting system. Not a fan of the way LaRue's cam on the upper. No experience with any other QD mounts.

I have an ADM mount for my viper PST 1-4 and when I first got everything setup it was very tight and no problems with returning to zero. Shot it some more and the levers that lock the scope got broken in and there was a little play in it. Been shooting it since then and no problems after adjusting the locking nuts on it now.

+1 for the Bobro. I wanted an extended mount, so I switched from Larue mounts (LT-104) to the extended Bobro mounts (2 of them) and I think they are great. I like the BLAC lever system better which requires no manual adjustment to lock it to the rail. I like the lever system (with the safety) better. I also like the that the ring mount bolts are horizontal and not vertical. FTR I have the newer version with the ring bolts on top not on bottom. The mount is rock solid and the quality is awesome. Have not removed it and checked the RTZ, but I agree with the above poster to not "trust it" if your next shots are important and re-verify your zero.

http://www.bobroengineering.com/view/product/8/

The larue is great and you can find used ones quite often for a good discount. If you want a qd mount that is cheap and works, the burris PEPR is great don't overlook it. Quite frankly the bobro, spuhr etc are way more mount than you need for 3 gun. The price of those mounts are for people that are shooting in precision matches and LE/MIL life and death scenarios.