Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All Divisions Match Results

Graham Smith

I've never understood why, but some people want to see the All Divisions list. Not many, but a few people are complaining since we started posting results to USPSA rather then sending out the TXT files the way we used to.

Since USPSA doesn't include them and since Practiscore doesn't use them and many clubs never sent them out in the past, I feel under no obligation to create and send out a non-supported scoring list for the few who want it.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

Edited by Graham Smith

I've never understood why, but some people want to see the All Divisions list. Not many, but a few people are complaining since we started posting results to USPSA rather then sending out the TXT files the way we used to.

I like the overall standings in level 1 matches to get a no-shit standing for myself. For example, if I am shooting Open against a master and Taran Butler is shooting in limited, my comparison to him is more meaningful than to that master if I am trying to understand what my standing would be in a major match. Club division results w/o a "real" GM are just a relative measurement and do not really tell you where you stand in the big-picture perspective.

since Practiscore doesn't use

From what I have seen, Practiscore shows "Overall Combined" results.

Later,

Chuck

Edited by ChuckS

Practiscore does indeed show combined results both as overall and stage by stage. If you are uploading to practiscore.com, combinedresults.info becomes extraneous. That website exists only to provide what USPSA will not show online.

From what I have seen, Practiscore shows "Overall Combined" results.

Later,
Chuck

Yes, that is one of the things I like about Practicscore. They show the combined result if you post the scores to their website.

Eric

Practiscore does indeed show combined results both as overall and stage by stage. If you are uploading to practiscore.com, combinedresults.info becomes extraneous. That website exists only to provide what USPSA will not show online.

Then perhaps I have mis-stated. USPSA doesn't show combined results but Practiscore.com does. Is that what you are saying? I was under the impression that combined results were finally being eliminated since they have no official standing.

As far as I know, there are no plans to take unofficial combined results (which are painfully labeled as such) out of ezws. You could ask Roger, but I also don't want to give them any ideas. You've never been able to have combined results on uspsa.org, simply because ezws doesn't generate combined data to upload to the website. Practiscore on the other hand displays all the combined results you desire, both on the devices and on the website.

As far as I know, there are no plans to take unofficial combined results (which are painfully labeled as such) out of ezws.

Yes, but EZWS is "going away". Here's the thing, I'm trying to be proactive here and start using the USPSA web site to publish results (and make it easier for whoever is going to take over for me). But I'm getting a few people who want the combined results, which USPSA doesn't have.

To move forward, we (as a club) are either going to use the USPSA web site for the official results or we are aren't. And if we have to provide something in addition to that because USPSA chooses not to include it, then we are no better off than we were before. In fact, in many ways we are worse off.

I'm really glad that I am retiring from this job at the end of the year because all this progress is creating more work for me every month.

Then perhaps I have mis-stated. USPSA doesn't show combined results but Practiscore.com does. Is that what you are saying? I was under the impression that combined results were finally being eliminated since they have no official standing.

If they were to be eliminated I'd be pretty unhappy......

From the MD perspective -- there's a;ways a few competitors who are flying solo or near solo in a division (Rev/SS/L10 depending on the match.). Then there's others who want to compare their standings to a small clique of friends, but they may not all be shooting the same division.....

In our now distant history, there were no divisions, and combined results were the only results. Everyone shot heads up. I like seeing both sets of results, I personally want to know how I did in my division, in my class, and in general at the match. But then I like numbers.

As long as the work required to crank them out isn't exorbitant -- and I think it got easier since I had to take each set of results individually and paste them into a word document, followed by formatting and e-mailing them out -- I'd like to see us continue to make them available. It's good customer service that costs us very little....

There are a handful of people that cannot understand that on occasion the results will flip between Divisions and Combined results. Too bad. Combined results even at majors are a nice thing to see how one friend did against another. OK, we don't pay out on combined, but we do on occasion by the beer.

OK. Then let me ask this... If EZWS and Practiscore produce the combined results, then why aren't they included on the USPSA results page?

I know that's not a fair question to ask because no one here is in charge of that aspect of things. But trying to simplify things isn't easy.

It's an old USPSA decision to not provide unofficial results on the official uspsa.org website.

Which is basically my point. The results aren't official so USPSA has opted not to provide them on their web site. But, the scoring software does provide them and (some) people like to see them. It's a Catch-22 that means you cannot use the USPSA web site as the sole way of posting results.