Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

November

benos

OK, since this question is so easy, we'll have two easy questions, which, of course, must both be answered correctly by one individual. :)

Part 1 - Who was the first shooter to win a major (National/World level) championship with an optic sight on his (first hint) gun, and where and when did it happen?

Part 2 - Who was the first shooter to win a major pistol championship with a "pin-gun" type gun? And of course, where and when did it happen?

be

This is tougher than I thought it would be.  I think I found the "who" and "when" to both questions, but can't pin down the "where".

I did run across some historically interesting articles while searching for this.

My favorite is an article by Jeff Cooper. He used to write a column for Combat Handguns about "combat competition",  back when Jake Jattras (sp?) was the U. S. poohpah. Jeff was explaining that we needn't worry about the "rooney" guns that were beginning to show up in competition. Since these rooney guns weren't  really practical, they would go away all by themselves.

Of course, he didn't say how long that would take.

While Jerry won The U.S. Nationals (IPSC) with an electronic sight, you did not specify IPSC/USPSA, Was it not you who won the Bianchi Cup (NATIONAL Action Pistol championship)  with one waaaay back in the mid Eighties? (Was it the national championship then? or just a prize match?...It was still a big deal.

Pat

(Edited by Pat Harrison at 4:22 pm on Nov. 6, 2001)

Pat,

"While Jerry won The U.S. Nationals (IPSC) with an electronic sight, you did not specify IPSC/USPSA, Was it not you who won the Bianchi Cup (NATIONAL Action Pistol championship)  with one waaaay back in the mid Eighties? (Was it the national championship then? or just a prize match?...It was still a big deal."

Yes, that's true, I did win the Bianchi cup using an optic in 1983.

You burned me big time on that one. I meant to write the question meaning the first IPSC match, but forgot to clarify that (obviously). However, since charles intuited what I really meant to ask, I have to let him have it. :)

Damn, we just gave away another potential trivia question...

be

• 11 months later...

Just to break the mold, November's trivia question is "hidden" in the forum, somewhere. I think there's about four fellas who have already posted in the thread... Meaning, they have a head start! They deserve it though. (That's a hint.)

have fun,

;)

Nope.

OK, here's the first hint: The last two letters, "YA," stand for a colloquial (slang) expression that I'm kinda fond of. So, if I was "acroing" kinda, it would be KA. (I wanted to keep the acronym as accurate as possible to my original thought-response. But there really just wasn't a good way to do it, hence the "YA.&quot

be

I have an unofficial winner! Meaning, jhgtyre already won so he sent me his answer in a message. Impressive work - he's definitely the "acro decode GM"!! So to anyone who's mind can tolerate such acronym abuse - keep after it, it is possible.

:)