Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

coverting 45 mags

feenz

:o I have chip mcormick mags in 45 and was told that they will work with long loaded 40's with a little tunning,will they be reliable for my new 40 single stack? I don't want to buy new mag's since I have lot's of 45 mag's and tripp is about 4-week's back in order's!

An interesting aside: a friend recently took apart a .45 Single stack that he had built on a Les Baer frame; he milled in a Clark-Para ramp cut & put in a schueman .40 barrel, and fit the whole .40 top end to his frame with a new .40 cal ejector and slide stop. He bought 4 Tripp .40 mags, had a couple .45 mags and he borrowed 2 Metalform .40 mags from me (all 10 round).

Looking at the Cobra mags, we assumed they would work the best as the quality was apparent. Turns out the Metalform were the only ones able to activate the slide stop and accruacy was much better with the Metalform. This was unexpected & I have never heard of a different brand single stack mag affecting accuracy. I do not have an explanation as to why. My point is this: like many things with the 1911, you may want to expirament if you do not get the performance you want right off the bat. The .40 in a 1911 is not as strightforward as one may first think.

...a different brand single stack mag affecting accuracy.

If the feeding angle was bad, such that rounds were sometimes being slammed against the feed ramp, it might have partially set back some rounds, thereby increasing variability and hurting accuracy.

"and fit the whole .40 top end to his frame"

Hey Benny! I was not too clear on this; I meant to include that he used a new 40 slide though I do not recall what brand; it was either an STI or a Caspian.

As for getting .40s to run through a .45 slide- well that is way beyond our gunsmithing abilities. I would be impressed if anyone could get that combination to run reliably.

Noah- thanks for the post; I'll ask him to chamber & then un-chamber some live rounds next time he goes to the range & see if he can measure a difference from one mag's rounds to the next. You may well be onto something even if the distortion cannot be easily measured. Perhaps if we had a way to measure run-out. Why haven't we see you at our indoor competitions? D.