Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

adjustiabe rear sight for slugs

bigkyle72

Does someone know where I can get a rear adjustable sight that also folds down for slugs? Really want to change my POA/POI on my slug shots. Currently I am hight left an im thinking the way to change the POI is get an adjustable rear sight. It would be a bonus if I could fold it down out of the way as well. Am I assuming this is the way to adjust the POI on my slugs? Never had to deal with it before now.

Well the 10-22 sight does very well in this application. I will say this that it is beneficial to cut them down a bit so all you have is all that you need, cut off the big sides etc. As for not holding up mine was the first set up like this, that I know of and it was installed by me with a file in 1996, just used it at the 3-gun Nationals. Finished 3rd place limited with that same M1 and same sight.

I wish someone would put together a Video or article on how to install a XS or 10-22 rear sight.

The how to on installing the sight is one thing. The how to on cutting the dovetail into the rib is another.

Boom,

You would want to send your barrel/shotgun off to have this installed, unless you are very proficient running a milling machine, or skilled with a triangle file set like Kurt... If you are patient, you can do this fitting by hand, but its easy to take too much out, and the dovetail fit ends up loose, etc. Spend $60, and send your gun and a rear sight to Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports...If you dont have a sight, go to Brownells and scratch one up... they are not too expensive...

Kurt,

Good call on cutting down the excess... I noticed when Steve put mine on, the center 'V' is a little tall, and the sides are way to tall... I have not cut mine down yet, but am working to get the center filed down so it lines up well... Was practicing yesterday, and having no trouble hitting IPSC target in the head at 85 yards... I'll post up a pic after cutting the 'wings' off so you can see sight picture

I wish someone would put together a Video or article on how to install a XS or 10-22 rear sight.

A long time ago I learned to cut dovetails in flintlock rifle barrels by watching Hershel House. His method used a hacksaw, square file and (safe sided) triangle file. Now I use a Bridgeport mill with end mills and dovetail cutters. A hybrid method of cutting a square slot and then hand filing the dovetail with a safe file can yield pretty good results with practice, but having the proper size dovetail cutter for the mill makes it so much easier to get a good tight, straight fit.

A long time ago I learned to cut dovetails in flintlock rifle barrels by watching Hershel House. His method used a hacksaw, square file and (safe sided) triangle file. Now I use a Bridgeport mill with end mills and dovetail cutters. A hybrid method of cutting a square slot and then hand filing the dovetail with a safe file can yield pretty good results with practice, but having the proper size dovetail cutter for the mill makes it so much easier to get a good tight, straight fit.

Hey steve, What is the price to instal on my shotgun? and do I have to provide the sight?

I have learned from many, and have taught many how to put bread on there tables, and know like most things practice makes perfect , I also have tried doing things I'd never thought I would ever few years ago Thanks to internet, and Youtube videos. I do appreciate those people out there willing to share what they have learned, and all those Do's, and especial the Don'ts. I do own a hack saw, :roflol: and allot of files.

• 9 months later...