Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New reloader needs some help with a recipe

trango

Hey guys,

This will be my first time reloading and I'm having bit of trouble finding starting data for the components I've been able to acquire. Powder is scarce in my area and I have ended up with 1lb of IMR PB. I've got some 180gr lead Bayou bullets that have just come in.

The issue is that I can't find a starting load.

From the IMR/Hodgdon website for PB powder:

180gr BERB FP starts at 4.7 max 5.1

180gr XTP starts at 4.1 max 4.5

From Modern Reloading 2nd Ed:

180 gr Lead:

Power Pistol 6.5 to 6.9

Unique 5.2 to 5.5

Amer-Select 4.6 to 5.0

I contacted IMR directly and they said they have no load data for PB with 180gr lead.

I was considering just starting at 3.5gr just to be safe and work up to something that cycles reliably. I'm shooting club matches that don't have a PF requirement, although I'd like to meet 40 minor. I'm sorry to be fishing for recipes, but I've really hit a wall and want to be cautious with my first batch.

Thanks folks!

That's exactly where I would start, between 3.5 and 4.0 you should find what you are looking for. Be sure to let us know where you end up. I have several pounds of PB just have not gotten around to it yet. It looks like a great minor powder.

That's exactly where I would start, between 3.5 and 4.0 you should find what you are looking for. Be sure to let us know where you end up. I have several pounds of PB just have not gotten around to it yet. It looks like a great minor powder.

IMR-PB is my "go to" powder for 9mm minor. I've never tried it for my .40 loads yet but I think 3.5gr for a 180gr berry would be a tad too low as I use 3.3gr - 3.4gr of PB under a 147gr coated bullet for 9mm. I'd start at 4.5gr and work up.

My major PF load for Unique + Bayou 180gr is 5.3gr. I tested from 5.1gr -> 5.4gr and 5.3gr was the perfect weight to make major and have a slight buffer. I also posted a smoke test video of Missouri Lead vs Bayou Lead coated which can be seen here

Edited by 2011WRBSTI