Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mossberg Customer Service

TitoR

I keep hearing stories about this or that company's CS department been horrible, so I had to pass along a contrasting story.

I lost the retaining pin that holds the shell latch pin of my Mossberg JM Pro 930 when I did the loading port opening work on my shotgun. I fixed temporarily with a hitch pin that I bought at advance auto, but wanted to get the original pin.

So today I called Mossberg CS to request a replacement. I live in Puerto Rico, so many times shipping can be very expensive, or companies just plain refuse to ship to Puerto Rico, since they consider it an International shipment.

Long story short, they swtiched from their standard provider UPS/FEDEX to USPS Priority and shipped all the requested parts at no cost. Took me just 5 minutes over the phone. Excellent. :D

Nice to hear.

Had a somewhat dinged up choke tube in the set when I opened the bag they came in, when I received the new shotgun. Called up CS and they shipped a complete set of chokes.

Good to hear not all experiences with Mossberg CS is bad...

• 1 month later...

I keep hearing stories about this or that company's CS department been horrible, so I had to pass along a contrasting story.

I lost the retaining pin that holds the shell latch pin of my Mossberg JM Pro 930 when I did the loading port opening work on my shotgun. I fixed temporarily with a hitch pin that I bought at advance auto, but wanted to get the original pin.

So today I called Mossberg CS to request a replacement. I live in Puerto Rico, so many times shipping can be very expensive, or companies just plain refuse to ship to Puerto Rico, since they consider it an International shipment.

Long story short, they swtiched from their standard provider UPS/FEDEX to USPS Priority and shipped all the requested parts at no cost. Took me just 5 minutes over the phone. Excellent. :D

Do you know what size the replacement cotter pin you got from advanced auto was? I am having the same problem right now, but I have a big match to shoot in next week and I am not sure if the replacement from Mossberg will be here in time.

Wait til you need something like a firing pin or extractor and they won't sell it to you because they say "it's a controlled part". No more Mossy's for me because of their CS, or lack there of. A team mate broke an extractor on his Versa max when a cart fell over. Called Remington, they sent him two and was at his house in 48 hours. As a result I now run Remington.

I am not a huge 930 fan, but I must say on their behalf- as a gunsmith, I have not had any major issues with getting parts. When they say "controlled part" what they mean is that if it is not installed by a knowledgeable professional it may not function properly. They have no way of knowing if you as an owner can check firing pin protrusion, extractor tension, etc. If you have your gunsmith order the part, he should have it in short order, assuming he maintains a current FFL on file with their service dept. Generally on any current production gun they don't even bill me for shipping unless I am buying parts for the emergency bin. If I give them a Serial number for a specific gun in for repair it is generally a no-bill. Just call in the morning East-Coast time. If you wait until mid-day, they are getting calls from all over the US, and getting through can be difficult. I start at 6:30 PST, so most west-coasters are still drinking their morning coffee when I call.

I had a issue with the recoil tube on the 930 SPX. I sent the whole shotgun in a prepaid box provided my mossy and they sent it back good as new 4 days. I then called them about getting a lifter (elevator) for my JM Pro and they sent me a spare for my troubles!

Has anyone found a local source (close to you) for a cotter pin/hair pin/retaining pin to hold the shell latch pin? I'd like to have some spare, just in case. I thought I would ask before I call Mossberg.

Do you know what size the replacement cotter pin you got from advanced auto was? I am having the same problem right now, but I have a big match to shoot in next week and I am not sure if the replacement from Mossberg will be here in time.

Don't know the size, but the one i used came in an assorted pack, and it was the smallest of the pack. Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

http://www.grainger.com/product/Cotter-Pin-2UJK1?opr=APPD&pbi=2MVJ3

Another option, in SS, so would be more visible until it jumps out.

http://www.grainger.com/product/Cotter-Pin-1WHR1?opr=APPD&pbi=2UJK1

I think either would work. Am thinking of ordering a set of 25 as I want a spare or 2, and selling the rest, say a dollar gets you 2, postage included in CONUS. Should I do it? Tito, envelope rates to PR same as CONUS?

Not sure if quality is same as Mossberg. OE seems to be spring steel, don't know about the Grainger version.

Edited by mpom