Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Convert G24 to G17L? Possible or pointless?

Delmont

I have a 24 set up for Limited and for a number of reasons, I've decided to stop messing with .40. Based on the amount that I shoot, I think I'd have more fun just shooting minor in Limited.

I really like the extra sight radius and how soft the 24 shoots. I am wondering if there is a decent conversion barrel that would allow me to shoot 9mm in the 24. I've never tried one so I am not sure how well they actually shoot.

Or am I better off ditching the top end and building a 17L from aftermarket? The Zev slides are pretty spendy. Is the LWD slide pretty good for half the price?

Is it even worth trying to build a 17L or should I just stick with a 34, since the 34 is so easy to find?

If you go the aftermarket slide route, I have a LWD 17L slide and it works. I had no problems installing the Zev ultimate fulcrum upper parts in it and Dawson target sights fit on the slide nice and tight. I also used the LWD barrel and have no accuracy issues. The only thing I didn't like about the LWD slide is that with a Zev SS guide rod, I had to remove some material from the slide at the top of the guide rod relief, the nut on the end of the guide rod was catching there and keeping the slide from going back into battery.

Edited by RigPig

Use the KKM conversion barrel and I swapped the ejector housing out for a 9mm. Never had an issue with the gun, and it was very accurate. I had ran that setup for probably close to 10 years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I have been resisting the idea of a conversion barrel because I've heard of reliability issues, but never tried it for myself. Since I already have the gun set up exactly the way I like, this may be the best option.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update. I got my KKM conversion barrel in and it runs sweet! Only put a couple hundred rounds through it, but it shoots really soft and runs well. Only jam was a bulged reload that I didn't catch.

Running a 13 lb spring BTW.

the caliber conversion will be much much cheaper than building a new slide. I run a 17l in 3 gun and occasionally limited division it is a sick gun I wish glock would start making some more again so everyone should be able to get in on the long slide badassness.