Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Sports frame reduction

Philo_Beddoe

I have been contemplating sending off my TS to have the frame reduced by removing the checkering on the front and back strap and by undercutting the trigger guard and beaver tail to make the TS grip more similar to the SP-01 shadow grip. For those of you that have done the frame reduction on your TS, do any of you regret doing so? Thanks.

Nope, although I will say doing the work yourself (gradually) allows you to tune the pistol To your natural point of aim. Try this: draw with your eyes closed then open them, are your sights aligned?

I repeated that exercise over and over again as I removed more metal, now it just aims itself :)

ETA: I didn't end up taking any metal from the beaver tail, all from the trigger guard YMMV.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I like the feel of the smaller grip, the factory checkering was just to bulky for me.

To raise the grip I removed some material from the Beaver tail, but majority was removed from under the trigger guard.

post-50115-0-01299000-1397250017_thumb.j

post-50115-0-47736600-1397250031_thumb.j

I like the feel of the smaller grip, the factory checkering was just to bulky for me.

To raise the grip I removed some material from the Beaver tail, but majority was removed from under the trigger guard.

What make & model of grips do you have on your TS?

What make & model of grips do you have on your TS?

They are the full size factory rubber, I shortened them a little on a bench sander so that they would fit with the mag well.

I had the same goal as you, to make it feel as close to my SP 01 as possible.

tanfoglio copied you with the stock 3 extreme :) it has the same gold/bronze cerakote frame and black slide. no wonder they did. it's a good combination. :)

Stock3_1b.jpg

Defiantly a beautiful color combo, I have to give the credit to SufferInSilence, I saw that combo on his TS first.

I would love to handle one of those large frame Tanfoglio's, even with the grip reduction after shooting the Tac Sport my SP 01 feels tiny.

• 8 months later...

The grip reduction wasn't a big deal, a file, dremel with sanding drum, and sandpaper does a nice job.

The checkering took years off of my life, but I had never seen a CZ with a checkered front strap and wanted the challenge. If you look through the Tactical Sport picture thread I have some posts that describe the process.

Thanks

The grip reduction wasn't a big deal, a file, dremel with sanding drum, and sandpaper does a nice job.

The checkering took years off of my life, but I had never seen a CZ with a checkered front strap and wanted the challenge. If you look through the Tactical Sport picture thread I have some posts that describe the process.

Thanks

what tools did you use for the checkering? it looks perfect. Very good job.

• 2 months later...

Well, I´m surely not able to do such a beautiful and perfect work, that checkering is fabulous!

But I want to reduce my TS grip.

I think I will take away the crappy factory checkering and add some skateboard tape.

How about that?

Can you tell me please where I have to be careful, and where I can take away some more material?

I want to get higher, so taking away material under the trigger guard and the beaver tail will be one part.

But I also want to get "shorter" / a more slim grip.

The only real thin spot on the frame is at the very bottom of the front strap, because of the magwell bevel.

Removing the factory checkering and adding skateboard tape would provide just as much grip as the checkering. I wanted to do the checkering because I had never seen a CZ with a checkered front strap and wanted to see if it was possible.

And you did an absolute fantastic job!

But I´m not that kind of a fine mechanic, being a mason means to be closer to the hammer, than to the caliper....

:blush:

Will it work to remove the factory checkering and go a bit deeper, so that the skate board tape will be aligned with the rest of the grip?

Do you think it is possible to give us some reference measurements?

That would be a great thing for all of us, I suppose.

:bow:

My frame measures 2.138" front strap to back strap. Let me know if there are any othe measurement you are looking for?

You should be fine if you wanted to recess the skateboard tape so that it is even with the rest of the frame. There isn't much difference between the depth of the valleys in my checkering and the thickness of skateboard tape.

Thanks,

Chase