Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

14.5" barrel with rifle length gas system...who makes one?

jriggs

Considering that a rifle length gas system on a 14.5" barrel would put the gas port so close to the end of the barrel, I don't think there would be enough dwell time to build up enough gas pressure to make it run. Unless you were going to run it suppressed all the time, then it would probably fly. Guessing that's why nobody makes one. If you must have rifle length, I'll go along with ccoker and suggest the VTI/ Adams 16.5

http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/operation.shtml

At the bottom of the page linked above, there's some info about gas system length, pressures, dwell time etc.

Rifle gas port is at 13.2", you'd have 1.3" inches of barrel past the port. A 10.5 carbine has 2.7", more than double, and sometimes they don't run right. I'd go with a midlength system.

all good info...thanks for the heads up. doing a little more research now. was planning on running it suppressed but didn't realize it would most likely run like garbage without the can. again...thanks guys.

FYI, the BA barrel I am using runs with and without can with a Vltor A5 setup

without the can and running 223 vs 556 I need to go to a lighter buffer than the standard 5oz to get the bolt to lock back

To me that means they got the gas port right and not oversized

Edited by ccoker

all good info...thanks for the heads up. doing a little more research now. was planning on running it suppressed but didn't realize it would most likely run like garbage without the can. again...thanks guys.

If you are going to run suppressed you should stick with a 16" barrel to avoid NFA stamp. Unless you plan to pin and weld suppressor to the 14.5?

I have a DPMS dissipator barrel, 16" with rifle length gas. This rifle runs 100%. 14.5" with rifle gas, like others have said, most likely won't run well.

You will most likely need a adjustable block when you go suppressed, or goes with the Adams kit for the piston conversion. My 12.5 was so dirty with the can on it, I switched over to the piston and it is awesome.

I just finished a rifle with the 16.5 Voodoo / Adams barrel with the rifle length gas system . It's shooting really well. Still dialing it in, but so far it's reliable with my ultra light recoil system, full mass bcg, and adjustable gas block

post-40886-0-95927600-1398241887_thumb.j

post-40886-0-95164500-1398241895_thumb.j

Edited by thegunnerd