Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What kind of spray paint for steel?

Our local steel league used rollers a few years ago. You do get good coverage but you need to be careful when painting or the paint spatter gets all over

you and your gear. They have since gone to spray paint.

I personally prefer the Rustoleum 2X in flat white. Good coverage and it dries pretty quick. As many others have noted, the cheap stuff ain't really cheap.

exactly .... no one wanted to do it cause paint splattered all over you unless you stood to the side of the plate and went really slow. just too impractical unless the painters are not shooters ....

• 2 months later...

The problem I now face is retraining shooters not to hold the spray button down for 5 seconds to cover one small spot. So far it takes just as many cans of $5 paint as it does $1 paint to shoot a match! Lol

for my normal 6-stage monthly match with 8-10 shooters on a squad 2 cans of 99 cent Lowes spray paint gets it done. we've tried lots of other options and spent more with no better results. my only expenses are 2x4s & paint so I'm all about minimizing expenses where I can ....

I really wish you could get the marking paint with a normal cap that doesn't require the can to be held upside down. I swear I get more paint on me than the target most of the time.

You may be buying the wrong type can? There are two versions of marking paint. One is for the rolly thingy and sort of looks like a t shape and the other has a long stem that you bend over to spray by hand. The t shaped thingy will cover you in paint every time.

I really wish you could get the marking paint with a normal cap that doesn't require the can to be held upside down. I swear I get more paint on me than the target most of the time.

You may be buying the wrong type can? There are two versions of marking paint. One is for the rolly thingy and sort of looks like a t shape and the other has a long stem that you bend over to spray by hand. The t shaped thingy will cover you in paint every time.

I am using the one with the long stem that comes out vertically from the top of the can. It works fairly well, I just seem to get a lot more overspray in larger blobs out of these cans. Oh well, paint comes off eventually.