Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Top of the line stipple jobs

bigkyle72

Does anyone know what these top guys use to stipple? Glock works, TT, Salient ect....They all have the same stipple jobs or pretty close to it and I want to do it myself. Does any one know what they use? there is no way they have some one there with a soldering iron with a single tip.

Tti's ladies do it single tipped and Taran started Salient btw. He's no longer affiliated with them but they still do their stippling the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know he was with them and no longer affiliated anymore. But they do theirs just a single tip the whole way? With all the bussiness he has been getting I would think that would be CRAZY time consuming!

That looks interesting, where did you find those?

Actually using a waffle bit like the one Paul posted is MUCH faster than doing a single pointed texture pattern. In essence the bit is doing the work - you're just moving a "stamp" over the gun.

Contrast that to someone like me who uses a single point bit like using a pencil, and drawing all over the grip. THAT is time consuming, but I feel the results and unique-ness are worth it!

Tti's ladies do it single tipped and Taran started Salient btw. He's no longer affiliated with them but they still do their stippling the same way.

I know he was with them and no longer affiliated anymore. But they do theirs just a single tip the whole way? With all the bussiness he has been getting I would think that would be CRAZY time consuming!

We actually use a number of different tools that we custom make here, but the stippling is all done by hand.

It is time consuming. Making them perfect takes a lot of time ( sometime our stipples girl spends 2-3 hours on a piece ). That's why we usually request a 3-4 week turn-around time.

have a look at youtube loads on there then go out and buy a soldering iron its easy I've never done one b4 and had a go myself i didn't even practice :goof: and the good thing about it if you don't like it just smooth it of and start again,but first have a look at youtube,here's mine (first attempt) not bad if i do say so myself

PC030012.jpg

We actually use a number of different tools that we custom make here, but the stippling is all done by hand.

It is time consuming. Making them perfect takes a lot of time ( sometime our stipples girl spends 2-3 hours on a piece ). That's why we usually request a 3-4 week turn-around time.

I love these guys ;)

+1 for TTI

Duplicating the "waffle" pattern that Salient, and several other shops use is done by making a bit like this with a checkering file:

0GKYEn6.jpg

Basically all you have to do afterwards is "Stamp" the bit all over the grip. That's what I mean when I say the bit is doing the texturing. It's not done free hand.

Duplicating the "waffle" pattern that Salient, and several other shops use is done by making a bit like this with a checkering file:

0GKYEn6.jpg

Basically all you have to do afterwards is "Stamp" the bit all over the grip. That's what I mean when I say the bit is doing the texturing. It's not done free hand.

Agreed, you can even see a sort of "grain" pattern on some of their guns caused by the nature of the stamping method.

I love these guys ;)

+1 for TTI

We love you too!

I use and have always used a single tip. The "waffle" style bits just make it look cheap and in my opinion is used by the bigger guys just to get products out fast. It doesn't take that much longer to do a good job when you know what you're doing. Check out some of my stuff if you'd like, I can't post links yet, but just google search SSVi or search for SSVi on Facebook.

I agree with Damon (SSVi). The waffle bit pattern kind of reminds me of a song that was popular, but then was way over-played on the radio.

Check out Tactical Texture and Triggers, LLC. for some examples of my work. I'm too new here to post links, but maybe just even the facebook.com/tacticaltextureandtriggers will give you and idea.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know what these top guys use to stipple? Glock works, TT, Salient ect....They all have the same stipple jobs or pretty close to it and I want to do it myself. Does any one know what they use? there is no way they have some one there with a soldering iron with a single tip.

ce6b9646-89c1-41aa-bfd3-690e59554c7e_zpsf809a1d6-e7c1-42ad-a4ed-ea502435771f_zps

Here is my G22 I just recently did. I have a buddy that just got his salient back and liked the stipple job. I have done a few other M&Ps before so it wasn't my first rodeo. I used a very small point that was included in the $20 wood burning kit from hobby lobby my buddy bought a couple years back for a wood working project. I don't like the set pattern stippling that some others use or the ones that use the bigger tips. This took probably around 2-3 hrs but was my first time with this type of pattern and I used a single point. I have done a tree bark type pattern on my M&Ps that is super easy to do. I still need to go back and do the finger grooves. I liked the way it felt at the time but now I want the whole thing done.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to preface this with the statement that I am not a fan of plastic stippling. I love stippling done on top ribs of rifles and other metal work, seldom do I see it on plastic and not think it looks crappy (not to offend anybody, it's my personal opinion, and I realize that a lot of what is done to guns is functional versus cosmetic). HOWEVER, that bark finish is awesome, I really dig that. How is it for grip? If it works for grip AND looks that great, man nobody should bother with stippling any more. Thanks for sharing that man.

Red

It's great for grip. It can be more or less aggressive depending on the depth I push the iron in. I had it on a carry gun that was a bit to aggressive so I sanded it down some and it was perfect. It is way better than the stock grip and is really easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...