Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accidentally mixed pistol and rifle powders

Zmego

I feel your pain. I dumped some H-110 into a mostly new 4lb jug of W-231. Bit the bullet(no pun intended) and ditched the jug. As Grumpy said, expensive fertilizer. It helps to drink afterwards. :goof:

I feel your pain. I dumped some H-110 into a mostly new 4lb jug of W-231. Bit the bullet(no pun intended) and ditched the jug. As Grumpy said, expensive fertilizer. It helps to drink afterwards. :goof:

Too bad it wasn't H110 into a jug of W-296...

I'm afraid that I may be the crazy that would decide to relegate this bit of powder to practice loads and shoot it. I'm not a chemist, but it would make sense to me that the result would generally be lower velocities due to the rifle powder not contributing much in a pistol case. I certainly would not use it for match ammo. And, I think you would see the "best" result from a thorough blending of the mixture. I suspect that a case full 335 would likely not perform well at all.

I think you would make a fantastic guinea pig! Let us know how it goes.

I would relegate this powder to practice loads, you would see the "best" result from a thorough blending of the mixture.

I've certainly seen crazier ideas - I'm not recommending this, understand, but I'd be tempted to try a Very Light Load

with a very light bullet in a very strong gun with fully supported chamber, and see what happens, myself - I'd never

recommend anyone with an ounce of common sense try this, though.

Major ammo mfgrs commonly "blend" powders on a custom basis???

The blending at ammo manufacturer's that I'm familiar with was blending different lots of the same powder, never blending different powders. Since they buy non-canister grade powders, and have pressure guns to test in, they can do things we cannot.

Their blending of different lots is normally to try to get the same (or near) results as they have been getting in the past for ballistic uniformity. Thus, if they encounter a lot giving a large variance from their established ballistic performance, they may take another lot of the same powder that is faster/slower than the lot they started to use and blend them to get something in the middle. Otherwise they simply develop the load to the lot of powder using the pressure gun to ensure pressures are within SAAMI and giving the ballistic performance is what they have specified. Blending two lots of Bullseye 84 is no where near blending diverse powders such as 231 and H335. (Note - Bullseye 84 is a non-canister powder that is chemically Bullseye, but granulated differently (as I understand))

Canister grade powders, such as we use in reloading, may be blended by the powder manufacturer of two or more lots of the same powder to five us the canister grade lot to lot uniformity we expect.

Guy

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space. No, but seriously, it's powder not your last jar of baby food.

Oh, I didn't say I would make plants grow with it. I have done a lot of dumb stuff and still do from time to time, I just wouldn't risk any of the firearms I wish to keep to an unknown. Do I think it would have much effect? No. However, would not gamble a gun on it.

I don't mind making a bet (if I know the out come) gambling is going on odds and they always get you in the end.

• 8 years later...
  • 1 month later...