Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Accidentally mixed pistol and rifle powders

Zmego

I had a stupid brain fart the other day while reloading...

I reload all my rifle and pistol on a single stage press (I know, sucks to be me), and I only have one powder measure that I empty and fill up each time. Apparently I didn't empty the powder measure all the way last time I was reloading .223 and left a small amount (maybe 50-100gr) of H335 in the powder measure. When I went to load some pistol the other day I didn't see the left over H335 before I poured in some Win 231 over top of it. At the start of any reloading "session" I charge a piece of brass dump the powder from the brass on my scale to make sure the charge is right then return the powder to the powder measure. I did this 4 or 5 times charging the left over H335 then returning it to the powder measure with the Win 231 in it essentially mixing the the two powders. I loaded about 25 rounds and added some more Win 231 on top of the returned H335 before realizing my mistake.

Normally I would just dump out all the "contaminated" powder and start fresh with a lesson well learned, but with pistol powders being as scarce as they are and this being my last half pound of Win 231 I really don't want to dump it out. With the amount of H335 I have mixed in with my Win 231, am I being unsafe by continuing to load or is it not enough to matter?

Not worth the risk. There's no way to tell how those powders will burn with each other. Powder is valuable right now but it's nothing compared to a blown up pistol or an injury. JMO

I am not suggesting you do anything!!!

But, I ask, when you mix a faster (pistol) and a slower (rifle) powder, you can't be confident the burn rate/internal combustion pressures and resulting velocities will be somewhere between the two?

But, I ask, when you mix a faster (pistol) and a slower (rifle) powder, you can't be confident the burn rate/internal combustion pressures and resulting velocities will be somewhere between the two?

I'm thinking over pressure situation....

I'm not an expert but I could see one of the powders burning much hotter or cooler temperature wise. Who knows what that will do to the other powder?

Sounds very dangerous. Search a thread by Alamo Shooter... Learn from his experience...I'm glad Jamie made it out without being too badly injured!

Not worth the risk in my opinion, scarce powder or not.

Would 100 grains mixed with nearly 3500 really be an issue. I am fine dumping it but I have a hard time believing that it would have a catastrophic outcome...then again I only got a C in chemistry.

It's won't cause a problem. The guy above accidentally used pistol powder in a .223 round which caused catastrophic failure. You are talking about a few flakes of a slow burning rifle powder in with fast burning pistol powder. Load it up use it for practice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would 100 grains mixed with nearly 3500 really be an issue. I am fine dumping it but I have a hard time believing that it would have a catastrophic outcome...then again I only got a C in chemistry.

If your 100gr H335 in 3500gr W231 is accurate, you'd have less than 0.2 gr of H335 in a 5gr of the H335/W231 mix.

Pretty sure I wouldn't worry about it.

Note: if you blow some shit up, not my fault.

Note: if you blow some shit up, not my fault.

There is the rub, it will be his. I am with the folks that suggest not loading ammo with it. Unless your firearms are of less value that the amount of powder you mixed up.

Did you blend the powders? Or simply dump the pistol powder on top of the rife powder?

The problem comes in that even with blending you may not get a uniform mix. That means one charge may be all, or mostly one powder.

If you dumped the pistol powder on top of the rifle powder you may (no certainty) be able to dispense (meter) most of the rifle powder out as if you were charging cases for however many powder measure strokes it would take to clear the amount of powder you feel is wrong - plus some as an insurance factor. Should you try to salvage at least some of it.

Overall, safest would be to discard all of it, but if you could potentially dump most/all the rifle powder out the bottom, leaving the pistol powder, you might get some loads from it.

Your choice as we are not there and not in your shoes!

The greater risk is (I feel) potentially sticking a bullet in the bore from a cartridge containing all or most rifle powder. But we have no real way of knowing the results unless tested under controlled conditions (as in a pressure gun ...).

Good luck. Keep us posted on what you end up doing.

Guy

I am going to play it safe and fertilize the lawn with this moronic mistake. Thanks for everyone's input. I am willing to bet that I dn't make this mistake again, especially if I can't reload 9mm for months to come.

Man, now I'm just so curious. Go out and borrow some guys hi-point, put it in a vice and shoot the gun via string. Run the loads over the chrono and we'll all have the answers to our questions. If the Hi-Point blows up, who cares, lol!