Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Redding Competition pistol seating die

who all owns these dies? i picked one up for 45acp and really considered getting another for 9mm and 38super.

the 45acp i load 230fmj , 200swc , 230jhp , 230 rn .

so it make it nice to beable to record a setting and easily duplicated it .

a added benefit is it help with concentric mostly with the 200swc before with the plain jane Dillon seating die i would a occasionally get a round that the projectile was clearly seated sideways in the case . one side the bullet is pushing on the brass . not sure if it will help with accuracy but its nice to not have rounds fail case gauge due to being seated sideways .

any way just thought i would see if anyone else has tried these and their thoughts on these

Edited by DC730

I have used this die for four years loading 9mm. Several thousand rounds. In my opinion I would use nothing else. I also use their new die for the final crimp. Looks just like the seating works the same and produces the crimp I want.

So, my vote is yes.

:cheers:

everything I hear about the Redding die is good news.

Keep reading. Not everybody likes them.

No issues with mine (9mm), seats very consistently and super easy to adjust.

is this your thoughts? if so please share. hate when people say something to a negative effect but dont finish. .

only negative i can think of so far is the hash marks and number could be larger and more clear they are tiny and kind hard to read.

other then that i cant think of anything it does a great job of keep the projectile inline with the case. i even ran a few with out flaring the case with lead bullets when setting the OAL .with no problem other then tiny bit of shaved lead.

They are not necessary especially if you are not changing bullets and seating depth a lot or at all.

With that said I have one in each of the tool heads for all the calibers I load. 40,45 and 38 Super. And even though I am of the Ron Popeill school (set it and forget it) I would not use anything else but the Redding seating dies.

is this your thoughts? if so please share. hate when people say something to a negative effect but dont finish. .

only negative i can think of so far is the hash marks and number could be larger and more clear they are tiny and kind hard to read.

other then that i cant think of anything it does a great job of keep the projectile inline with the case. i even ran a few with out flaring the case with lead bullets when setting the OAL .with no problem other then tiny bit of shaved lead.

Don't hate. Search! There is at least one thread on here about the oal not being any more consistent than a $25 die, having to mod the die by taking the spring out for better consistency, etc. I bought one and it was no better than a LEE or Dillon seating die. I finally just bought a Redding Pro Series seater for ease of adjustment. Like was said above, if you are not loading several different loads and bullets in a given caliber then it is of less value. I might search around and see if I can find the thread, then again maybe not.

They are not necessary especially if you are not changing bullets and seating depth a lot or at all.

With that said I have one in each of the tool heads for all the calibers I load. 40,45 and 38 Super. And even though I am of the Ron Popeill school (set it and forget it) I would not use anything else but the Redding seating dies.

I agree, I change up quite a bit for different purposes and it would be great to have because of that.

Don't hate. Search!

The only common problems I read about were related to issues with certain bullet profiles and did not really pertain to me. I will have to look into the issues you mentioned though, thanks Sarge.

Depending on what I find, it may just be more worthwhile getting the microadjust and save the money for more bullets.

Don't hate. Search! There is at least one thread on here about the oal not being any more consistent than a $25 die, having to mod the die by taking the spring out for better consistency, etc. I bought one and it was no better than a LEE or Dillon seating die. I finally just bought a Redding Pro Series seater for ease of adjustment. Like was said above, if you are not loading several different loads and bullets in a given caliber then it is of less value. I might search around and see if I can find the thread, then again maybe not.

i have to take mine apart but i dont see how that spring effect anything. the bottom of the mircrometer has a raised center which look like it would bottom out on the seater stem after the spring is fully compressed. in other word to me i would seem that the spring would be fully compressed before the bullet it all the way seated. i have to take another look at it though because i have been wrong to many times to count.

also i think it would be hard pressed to get a 0.000 variation the few i measured where +/- .002 which is hardly anything and most like the variation in the bullet profile but like you said the dillon die produced the same oal constancy

i like the dillon die for easy cleaning but i had my fair bit of crooked lead bullets . only with lead though. no problem with jacketed bullets.

i have to take mine apart but i dont see how that spring effect anything. the bottom of the mircrometer has a raised center which look like it would bottom out on the seater stem after the spring is fully compressed. in other word to me i would seem that the spring would be fully compressed before the bullet it all the way seated. i have to take another look at it though because i have been wrong to many times to count.

also i think it would be hard pressed to get a 0.000 variation the few i measured where +/- .002 which is hardly anything and most like the variation in the bullet profile but like you said the dillon die produced the same oal constancy

i like the dillon die for easy cleaning but i had my fair bit of crooked lead bullets . only with lead though. no problem with jacketed bullets.

Redding customer service recommends pulling the spring if oals are wavering

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Redding customer service recommends pulling the spring if oals are wavering

since i use the redding comp pistol die in 9mm, my AOL is all over the place, i exactly consider going back to the dillon unit.

funnily enough, i don't have any issues with the redding seater in .40 i use on my 40 toolhead........................................................

go figure.....