Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

17# hammer spring?

Gunfighter01

Is a 17# hammer spring as reliable as a factory 21#?....I just installed on on my 226 9mm....and its freaky light. I'm shooting an out of state match next weekend and I'm concerned about light strikes as I'm not taking a backup gun. I do however have a 18#...19#...an 21# spring to take with me but...you blow 1 stage and your done.

I forgot to mention that..I just got the short hammer strut..main spring seat...and springs last night...so I haven't had a chance to treat drive it yet and I found out tonight I have to work this weekend.... I'm debating whether to just install the 21# hammer spring for this match. ...if I do get a chance to hit the range. .. and have no light strikes on a couple hundred rounds. .. Could I figure good to go ya think? ?

My 226 ignites Winchesters consistently with a 17 lb mainspring (new style base and strut). I get an occasional light strike with Federals though. I run 19 lbers in my work Sigs and they ignite everything so that might be a good middle ground for ya if you're concerned.

t

I use 17# springs in my 9mm P226 and my 9mm X5 Allround. I use Federal primers, and have only had light strikes when I went beyond 3k rounds on them. If I change them at 3k, I haven't had any problems.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got 17lb mainsprings in my two 9mm P226's. No problems firing any of the various types of factory ammo I've fed them, including ammo with those hard Tula SPP primers. Wouldn't trust a 17lb spring in a duty or SD gun though, I'd go with a 19. Coincidentally that's what GGI recommends with their spring kits.

Has anyone tried this mainspring boot? Im assuming it is for reduced power springs.

https://apextactical.com/store/product-info.php?pid10.html

I have one and it does increase the mainspring preload slightly. It did appear to make the gun I installed it in a bit more reliable when using the the 22 conversion and a 17lb mainspring. But I found that it isn't necessary if I use Aguila 22 ammo.

While the aluminum mainspring boot does appear to make a slight difference, as long as the primers are fully seated I have never had an issue with any centerfire primer except Wolf when using a 17lb mainspring and the stock mainspring boot. .

As a side note if you have a P226 with the old style long hammer strut an easy way to make the gun more reliable is to change to the newer short strut and mainspring base. It is amazing how much that long strut flexes.

Edited by staudacher

I think they use a different primer on their new ammo; but i use federal primer myself, so i'm not that much worried about light hits. I'm actually about to cut a coil off on my 17# spring, to see if the trigger pull will be lighter.

Not trying to hijack your thread but does the 17# hammer spring make that big of a difference in trigger pull weight? I just ordered a P226 X5 Allround, I'm looking for the best way to lighten the trigger. Ordered the SRT and a few different weight recoil springs. Should I order some hammer springs also? Or should I just leave it alone?

Not trying to hijack your thread but does the 17# hammer spring make that big of a difference in trigger pull weight? I just ordered a P226 X5 Allround, I'm looking for the best way to lighten the trigger. Ordered the SRT and a few different weight recoil springs. Should I order some hammer springs also? Or should I just leave it alone?

The 17# spring made a pretty big difference to me in SA and DA. Definitely worth the couple bucks.

I also have the Gray Guns spring kit, and that hardly made a noticeable difference in comparison, IMO.

Thanks! Are you using Wolff hammer springs?

Yes, I have been using Wolff hammer springs, but I am currently using the Gray Guns spring. Feels pretty much the same. I've had zero problems with the Wolff though.