Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Longshot83

Shells cathing on versamax extractor cut

I have a versamax tactical with the welded lifter from c-rums. It has worked flawlessly for about 150 rounds. This week I took a competition multigun class with Mike Seeklaner and Erik Lund and had 4 shot shells and 2 slugs out of 200 round get caught on the extractor cut in the barrel. Its possible it was bad shellsm but I see on here were people "break the edge" or "radius the sharp edge. Does anybody have any pictures of what one looks like after the modification? I could not find pictures in any of the threads and I dont want to make it worse or ruin the barrel. Thanks

Run your fingernail across the edge, notice how it catches? Use a small file and round that edge to where you can no longer catch your nail and stop. It really doesn't take much.

Then go function test the gun, you should be gtg.

Take off only a little at a time... too much and you risk making the problem worse. You are just trying to break the razor-sharp edge.

After welding my carrier I took a dremel and broke the edge on the extractor cut in the barrel. Barely removed any material, just hit that knives edge a bit and Ive never had a problem. Did it before I even shot it.

Its a very common issue with welded carriers. The "V" in the carrier is designed to center the shell. Once its gone that edge creates problems.

Has to be Mike and Eric's fault. Never happens in anyone else's courses. :roflol:

Seriously, I slightly throat the chamber including just knocking off the sharp edge of the extractor on all the VMs I work on. Keeps that from happening.

Yep, I need to do that to mine (throat the barrel). I did my own lifter and it has caught a few times at the top of the barrel. I also slightly grooved the lifter in the center to help center the shell. So.......... Thinking that's kept me from having any issue at the extractor cut.

So? Do you just knock down the ridges when you throat it?

Thanks. I performed the process and round the edge just barely, with some sand paper and emery cloth, then polished it up. Ran 57 rounds through it in a match on Saturday with no problems.