Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Luggage for Pistol Cases

OK, I got my Case Cruzer which I really like and used it when I flew to Arkansas for the MVSA IDPA match. I like putting my gun case inside a suitcase so it is not as obvious plus other things to pack. Never checked before but my big suitcase ALONE weighted 18 pounds. So that cuts a lot out to keep under the 50 lb limit. I am looking for a large suitcase, lightweight and not cost a gazillion dollars. Anyone have recommendations or can post what they use? My Case Cruzer is the newer 4 pack magwell shooting range pro model with dimensions of needing space for 21x17x9 for the case. Just curious how everyone else travels with their pistols. Thanks

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

thanks and I do that but what I need is LIGHT WEIGHT luggage. my standard luggage weighs 18 lbs. That is 18lbs of things I can't pack to meet the 50lb weight limit. So looking for recommendation of luggage that is light to put my case cruzer into.

• 1 month later...

I looked at the Samsonite hardsided suitcases and most of the large ones I see are about 12 lbs.

Want to get one with latches instead of a zipper so my choices were limited. Found a couple but I need to see it in person to see if it'll fit all my shooting stuff.

Just checked and the Samsonite F'lite is 11.2 lbs. It has latches and a combo lock. Anything lighter than this and I'd be worried about it not surviving the luggage handlers. I've flown to several matches with it, mostly 3-gun and gotten a pistol, rifle, and shotgun in there while being under 50lbs.

40733_l.jpg

Gotta keep an eye out for that model, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

The others have the wheels sticking too far out and I don't think those would not last too long especially when loaded close to 50 lbs.

Decent-sized luggage is getting lighter now that the 50lb limits are setting in hard. I use the smallest bag I can get a hard case and all my shooting gear into and it's around 40 lbs loaded without much ammo. Clothes and more ammo and other stuff either goes in another bag (yay Southwest) or a big carry-on (minus ammo) for lamer airlines.

I was pointed to the Samsonite S'Cure and told the material is stronger than the F'lite model. I'm looking for the ones with latches instead of zippers.

Now the airline I like to use is telling me I have to separate the gun case from the ammo case, overheard the rep telling another one that is because if the bag gets stolen, there won't be any ammo to use the gun and if the bag with the ammo is stolen, there won't be a gun to use it in.

Means more bag fees for them.

Looking to use a friendlier airline in the future where they will let me bring 50 lbs of ammo.