Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prairie Storm Ammo

The LGS just got some Prairie Storm 12 gauge shells so I picked up a few boxes (both 2-3/4" and 3") for the occasional nuisance coyote and possibly some tough long range 3gun targets.

On another forum, an experienced 3 gun shooter and RO tells of this ammo tearing up various guns. Not just MKA's but also FNs and Versas. The most dramatic comment was how the charging handle would blow out of the gun and when replaced the gun may or may not be toast.

My open shotgun is a MKA 1919 (pre-XN) that retains all the stuff needed to shoot 3" shells (original recoil spring, long FB handguard) and I really do not want to tear it up this early in the season.

Anyone else have problems? Recommendations?

Looks like I've got some ammo to stick in the closet until the next ammo scare.

James, did it really knock your shoulder out of socket?

Does the warning apply to just the 3" shells or to both 3" and 2-3/4"?

Edited by Flatland Shooter

just kidding. I've used it a couple of times in practice and while it kicks, it's not as bad as the full velocity rio buckshot I bought, once...

Flatland, I have used quite a few 2 3/4" prairie storms through an SLP without any shotgun problems. They are great for steel targets a distance or late season pheasants. They do occasionaly knock over MGM spinner targets like other really heavy birdshot and turkey loads. Some matches have and others are talking about not allowing them because they can be pretty rough on closer steel targets.

Jeff

just kidding. I've used it a couple of times in practice and while it kicks, it's not as bad as the full velocity rio buckshot I bought, once...

When I got my MKA 1919 as a Christmas present, my kids bought me a case of Remington Slugger rounds (1 oz at 1680 fps). {Thanks Roman for assisting the girls in picking these out.}

I used some of those during the break in period for the gun with no problems.

I guess that's why I thought the Prairie Storm shells would not be quite as tough on the gun. (Praire Storm 2-3/4" shells with 1-1/4 oz at 1500 fps and 3" shells with 1-5/8 oz at 1350 fps)

Unless you are shooting spinners, a paddle or trying to skip a position by hititing stuff out past 25 yards or so, I don't see a reason to risk them.

I do have a few boxes, ran 50 through the VersaMax mixed in a bucket with Win AA low recoils, full pop slugs, 3.5" Steel and 1200 fps birdshot. I did not see any wear or breakage and it fed them all like candy. I doubt I would even try them through an MKA.

At one match I saw several shooters on my squad rotate a spinner with one shot from a pretty good distance. I wished I had some that day. I won't be at a match without them now.

two weeks ago a match was changed and buckshot added.

I did not bring any so I bought some from the MD. Full heavy crap.....

I don;t know what happened but when I got to those in my MKA mag they hammered the gun so hard that the bolt closed but it didn't strip a round. 3 times in a row.

I don't know why but I can tell you that that type of round will never go in my MKA again.

On a side note my MKA ran some Remington STS Low recoil 1100fps perfectly today. (It has a short handguard and std spring)

At one match I saw several shooters on my squad rotate a spinner with one shot from a pretty good distance. I wished I had some that day. I won't be at a match without them now.

I watched several shooters spin the double spinner at ironman with one shot only to lose that time advantage due to a malf.

If your gun can handle it, shoot it. Testing ammo is what practice is for.

I can't imagine that a modern semi auto such as Benelli, versamax or beretta wouldn't be designed to handle such a load occasionally.