Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open or Production?

arcee25

Production teaches patience and stage break down. Open allows focus on movement.

At the end of the day, let him decide. Whatever he has the most fun shooting. This will keep him wanting to go to the range and not being forced to go to the range.

Have him shoot a match production then match in open. Whatever he has the most fun with.

The competition part of it is great, but at the end of the day you need to have fun.

One advantage to production for a new shooter is that you can grab a glock or a m&p and it will run great with just about any ammo. The last thing that you want with a new shooter is to have him fight the gun during a cof because it isn't running right. That sucks the fun right out of it.

As already mentioned, take him to the range, let him shoot both, and let him decide. I suggest you do NOT influence him to one or the other. Be prepared for him to shoot the gun of his choice for a month or so then change his mind and want to shoot the other gun. Then be prepared for him to change his mind back after another month or so.

You can reassure him he is free to shoot one for a while then the other if he chooses. He will appreciate knowing it is his decision and you support him no matter what. Heck, he may decide he doesn't like shooting at all.

I started USPSA shooting in Prod and did so for about 5 yrs. I have been shooting Open for the past 4ish years. I am equally happy shooting either.

I started in Open, in fact it is basically all I've ever shot going on 11 years. My Dad had 3 Open guns and offered me one to use. Like I said, that was 11 years ago. I have posted in threads with similar type questions and I always say..............wait for it...................

Production

I do have to say that CB45 posted some good advice though.

My reasoning is and always will be that Production is the nuts and bolts of shooting. It just seems more PRACTICAL. I always wanted a do over, but since I can't get 10 year younger eyes, at 47 years old, I'll stick with my dot from here on out. I feel that production would have forced me to do some things that Open kinda let me be lazy learning.

First, reloads need to be spot on to be competitive. Second, stage breakdown is more critical and needs to be understood better. Third, movement needs to be mastered sooner in order to be competitive sooner.

It is absolutely true that at the upper levels, like placing or winning state, sectional, area type matches,....everything I mentioned has to be done correctly in every division. Maybe for some personalities it wouldn't matter. For me, after a couple years, I felt that Open had allowed me to be lazy on some things. Again, probably my personality. In two years CB45 made Master in Open, that took me 10 years.

So for me, that is why I always say Production. It is the nuts and bolts division and it will not mask any deficiencies. All your problems will be exposed quickly and if you want to start climbing the placement ladder, you will have to work on them immediately.

Shooting Open, you could shoot straight to the top of the standings fairly quick, thus, like me, be misled. Kinda depends on the competition. If it is strong then what I am saying might not apply, if the competition is weak, it will to some extent,......again this will depend on the personality of the shooter.

Edited by Chris iliff

It also depends on the shooter's goals: to be a GM? to place in a major match? or simply to enjoy some Saturdays with his dad doing something they both enjoy. In other words, do you want to work or play?

Personally, I have a shoebox full of National/Junior Olympic metals from shooting pistols 20 years ago and now I have a wife and young kids so traveling to major matches doesn't appeal to me much. I'm here to build/shoot great guns and have a little fun with the guys once or twice a month.

Like I said.

Learn to shoot should, in my opinion, start with the basics.

My children learned to shoot with iron sights first.

@Chris iliff:

How is your shooting with iron sights?

You started with a red dot and have never changed.

Are you as good (accurate) with iron sights, or are you better with the dot?

I wanted my children to educate with all sights.

It is pretty easy to switch from iron sights to a dot, but I know some guys who always shoot with a dot and they get nightmares when they should shoot with irons.

My children should be able to shoot good with every gun they get in their hands.

Like I said.

Learn to shoot should, in my opinion, start with the basics.

My children learned to shoot with iron sights first.

@Chris iliff:

How is your shooting with iron sights?

You started with a red dot and have never changed.

Are you as good (accurate) with iron sights, or are you better with the dot?

I wanted my children to educate with all sights.

It is pretty easy to switch from iron sights to a dot, but I know some guys who always shoot with a dot and they get nightmares when they should shoot with irons.

My children should be able to shoot good with every gun they get in their hands.

I grew up on a farm and with a Dad that was a gun dealer. Guns, and shooting them, have been a large part of my life. I always had a rifle or pistol and probably shot more than any other 5 kids combined in my area. Of course, it wasn't until my mid to late thirties that I was introduced to USPSA. And, like I said, it was an Open gun. This was my first experience with a RED DOT of any kind.

I struggle with ghost images and blurriness shooting irons at speed. If I use a little tape over my non dominant eye the shooting works well. Would I shoot as good as I do with my Open gun? Probably not, no. Plus, I really love Open, always have so at this point for me, I'll continue in OPEN. Lord knows there are a ton of shooters that want me in production, I laugh and tell them, "Heck, I'd have to learn to shoot!" It's all what trips your trigger.

I should have added that I also feel a solid year in Production would be what I would recommend to my son, if I had one. Not that I would force it or anything, just strongly encourage it, lol.

CB45 is very correct in saying to shoot what trips your trigger, so to speak.

I just feel that ten years ago, had I started in Production, maybe for a year, I'd have had more incentive to start practicing and would have developed better gun handling skills sooner.

Yes, I know it's all a wash depending on the personality of the shooter and how serious they take the sport. In every division, sooner or later, you are going to have to learn gun handling and movement like a GM to be competitive. So far, I'm just a Master.

Wanted to add:

Both optic and iron sights offer the shooter some of the same challenges. For instance, in both we are looking for the "instant" the sight rises, or the dot. In that respect, they are the same. The difference is focal plane. Shooting iron sights means bouncing your vision from target to sight, target to sight, repeatedly. In open we can keep our vision "focus" on the target. When the target and dot line up, we are looking at the same focal plan; therefore no blurry sight or target. Therefore people say it can be easier.

Just some additional food for thought.

Edited by Chris iliff

Iron sights to learn fundamentals if there are any plans to to tactical training or potential LEO in his future. Then there is the CCW aspect if that may pertain to his future. I would go limited minor for a bit until comfortable in a match setting and then production. Of course this will not work if he has his heart set on open.....

Ok here is the update, after reading the comments and even before firing a shot, my son decided to shoot production. I think it was a good choice. Thanks again and DVC!

Awesome!!! I look forward to seeing him on the cover of Frontsight soon!

Ok here is the update, after reading the comments and even before firing a shot, my son decided to shoot production. I think it was a good choice. Thanks again and DVC!

Awesome!!! I look forward to seeing him on the cover of Frontsight soon!

+1

:bow: